iOS 8.1 Performance on the iPad 2

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Le Hamilton, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Le Hamilton macrumors member

What do you think about the performance of iOS 8.1 on the iPad 2? Can you say something about the battery life on iOS 8.1 comparing iOS 8.0.2?

2. oldmacs macrumors 68040

My iPad 2 is either the same or a little worse performance wise. Battery life i'm not yet sure on..

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

iOS 8 should never have been released to iPad 2 users. The experience is terrible.

My Mum upgraded hers and when I visited to see how bad it was, I was truly shocked at how laggy it was. I felt so bad I gave her my Retina iPad Mini in exchange for the iPad 2.

4. Richard W. macrumors newbie

It made my Ipad 2 worse with lagging. Camera Roll is FUBAR. Battery life seems to be unaffected.

I regret going to 8. I knew that none of the new features interested me, but I I stupidly believed that it would somehow upgrade performance.

5. jamesnajera macrumors 6502

My iPad 2 was not bad with 8.0.2. It is very slow and unstable with 8.1. I'm quite disappointed.

8.0 was a clean install, not a update.

6. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I'm finding it to be much snappier on 8.1 than on 8.0.x. Less lag by a lot, and far more responsive. I was very dubious about updating after the awfulness of 8.0. The iPad was VERY frustrating after that. App crashes, locking up, and so on.

I've been using 8.1 for about an hour now, and it does seem thus far to be better.

My tuppence worth.

7. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Seems like it's a very mixed bag for iPad 2 users!

Mine is still on 8.0.2 and the user experience is terrible. Safari lags ALOT. Opening and closing apps takes ages to the point where sometimes when you tap on an icon, it doesn't respond for at least 4 seconds. Even hitting the power switch to put it into sleep mode results in a delay in a response - it's terrible. Did the 'update' to 8.0.2 OTA but gonna 'upgrade' to 8.1 using iTunes, at the weekend, hoping it will make a difference!!

8. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

Mine was the same. I never bothered going from 8.0.1 to 0.2.

A lot happier with 8.1.

PS, I updates OTA without issue. Updated, then did a hard reset.

9. chances14 macrumors member

chances14

performance was vastly improved for me from 8.0.2 to 8.1. while not as good as ios 7, it is very close.

i updated via OTA.

10. MacManiac1953 macrumors newbie

Having seen a considerable improvement when I moved from 8.0 to 8.0.2, I waited before moving to 8.1 to see what other peoples' experiences were. I installed via iTunes two nights ago on my iPad 2 and I am delighted with the result. Smooth and with no noticeable lag, and Safari - in particular - is now much as it was in 7.1.2 so I am really pleased with the result.

11. beyond macrumors member

beyond

No noticeable lag??? Yeah right.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I noticed 0 lag when we upgraded my Mom's iPad 2 to iOS 8 and now 8.1. In fact, her iPad runs better then my iPad Mini which is very laggy.

13. MacManiac1953 macrumors newbie

No two peoples' experiences will be the same. Perhaps not all iPads are created equal

14. ivandr macrumors regular

No, I think its more that no two people's perceptions of the same circumstance are created equal...

One person's buggy, laggy iOS 8.1 experience on an iPad 2 is another person's smooth, fast dream experience on an equivalent iPad 2 with 8.1

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My iPad 2 is working much better on 8.1 than 8.0.2. It is definitely not 7.1.2 speed, but it is useable again and I am pleased with that. I can actually browse Safari without it glitching every 30 seconds.

Battery seems to be about the same as 8.0.2, but its a little too early for me to tell.

16. ormadeline macrumors newbie

8.1 performance on Ipad2

Still slow, still freezes, still turns off. I don't see where anything is any better. :mad:

17. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

No noticeable lag here either, especially on the keyboard. Back to its prior buttery self.

18. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

So have just updated my slow and laggy iPad 2 to 8.1 and first impressions are that it seems to be running slightly better than 8.0.2.

My animations (when tapping on icons to open folders) seem to be working better (they were SERIOUSLY stuttery on 8.0.2) than before and Safari seems a little snappier.

Will post up some more thoughts as I use it over the weekend!

19. ormadeline macrumors newbie

I still have freezing problems, can't copy and paste, just multiple problems. So wish I never left IOS 7. Starting to hate my ipad 2.:mad:

20. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

How much free space do people have? I have about 6gb free on my ipad2, and aren't having ANY problems at the moment. Wondering why folks would have issues when mine is not.

21. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I've got 32 GB free :p

I did a clean install after having continual resorting from update since iOS 5, and it was good for a day or so then back to being as slow as all get out.

22. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It's always a mixed bag when it comes to this stuff. Same for battery life. We have two second gen ipads in the house and both seem to be working fine with the latest OS. After the update, we always do a reset network settings, complete safari cache clear, and then another soft reset just to be sure everything is fresh per se.

It's also worthwhile to recheck any settings or features that you normally have off to be sure they didn't get turned on by the update. I've seen this before so it's worth checking.

Once all that is done, the second gen iPads should work just fine or at least as good as before.

23. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

...well, I can report that iOS 8.1 is indeed running a lot better than 8.0.2 was on my iPad! The stuttery animations have now almost completely goone (it only occasionally stutters now whereas before, EVERY animation would stutter!!), tapping on app icons (opening and closing folders) results in a response, pretty much straight away, my blank bookmarks (I had bookmarked several websites to the homescreen - which 8.0.2 had caused these icons to be blank) have now been restored to their proper website icons, and my iPad, is now back to how it was, pre-8.0.2.

I just hope that iOS 8.1.1 (or .2) doens't break this again....!!!)

24. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I might just be lucky. Ipad2 doing really well. Still fast, no issues other than the usual, it seems, Safari thing where you have to move the page a bit to click a link, and an issue in iBooks with part of the screen not dimming. It is screenshotable so a software issue.

25. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

My iPad 2 runs reasonably well with iOS 8.1 but I

- set it up as a new device and am very restrictive with background app refresh tasks
    - turned of transparency (huge effect)
    - turned on reduce motion (minor effect)

I think it's not too bad after all, of course in comparison to its replacement - an Air 2 - it feels like a crawl.