ios 8.1 safari cripples iphone 6

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Act3, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Act3 macrumors 68000

I went and got an iPhone 6 today as I wanted a larger mobile display, zoom mode means less use of reading glasses for me. I like that feature. However safari just sucks on the iPhone 6. I compared my iphone 6 with my ipad 4. The ipad 4 which is still running 7.1.2 wins hands down with speed at rendering web pages.

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

No problems with speed or rendering on my IPhone6. Looks good to me.

3. Act3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Have you compared it side by side with a device running 7.1.2?

4. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

iPhone 6 doesn't run 7.1.2, if you had updated you might not have noticed the difference. Or maybe there is something wrong with your iPhone 6. Safari is slower for me though after the update.

5. Act3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yep it sure doesn't, but my iPad 4 does and that's what I compared my iPhone 6 to. iPad 4 running 7.1.2 renders websites faster than my iPhone 6.

6. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

iPhone 6 runs faster on safari than my iPad Retina on 7.1.2

7. Act3 thread starter macrumors 68000

8. imagineadam macrumors 65816

Yeah dude I was all excited to put 8 on my iphone 5 and ipad 4 and once I did I immediately went back because safari is sooooo slow compared to 7.1.2. When you click a link in 8-8.1 safari takes a good second or two or 3 before anything starts to show up where as with safari on 7.1.2 things happen almost instantly! I've grown very accustomed to the fast browsing so it was definitely jarring and very noticeable when moving to 8! Anybody who says oh it's fine really doesn't know or hasn't experienced the level of speed from safari in 7.1.2! Put them side by side and you will see! My ipad still has 7.1.2 but I missed the cutoff to downgrade on my daily driver i5 and it's night and day between the two devices where as before they were pretty much neck and neck for safari speed. I really hope Apple can boost up the safari speed back to 7.1.2. It's really discouraging to hear that the new iphone 6 with it's blazing fast a8 chip is being bogged down by their poor safari coding and is slower than a6 devices running 7.1.2 safari. Plus the reloading of tabs is ridiculous now. Go away from safari to write a text or use maybe one or two other apps and come back and most do my tabs start reloading! This never happens in 7.1.2. Ios was smart enough to keep safari as a high priority and only flushed them from memory when absolutely needed. Now it just refreshes them at will and it's all messed up.

9. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Sorry, meant iPad mini Retina

10. Act3 thread starter macrumors 68000

That second or two pause is my main issue with ios 8 series safari. 7.1.2 does not have it. The refresh issue is a RAM issue as it appears that the iPad Air 2 with 2 gig fixes that refresh problem. However messing with an iPad Air 2 today while picking up my iphone 6, still shows that initial delay when loading new pages.

11. ayusuf macrumors newbie

Yea, I've also noticed that Safari tends to reload the page more often than normal too.