General iOS *8.1: VLC for iOS Stability

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HUGE AL, Dec 6, 2014.

1. HUGE AL macrumors regular

We all know VLC for iOS was pulled (AGAIN) from the App Store and SUPPOSEDLY they are working on a new version that plays nice with iOS 8.X. But I was wondering if there was anything I can to to get this player to consistently play videos as it's spotty whenever it will actually not crash. Is there a certain number of videos to keep under? Is there a certain limit of GBs to transfer into the player?

Or am I going back to RushPlayer+ without subtitle support?

Yes, I know this is the Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks area, but most of the best advice comes out of here. ;)

2. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1, you want to keep an eye on my constant flow of multimedia player reviews posted in the iPad Apps forum here.

2, Infuse player, recommended above, is a sound choice, particularly if you need AirPlay + MKV and DTS. However, if you don't need those, nPlayer might turn out to be better.

4. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

5. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

I believe I have Infuse sitting in iTunes someplace. IIRC, it did require in-app purchases, didn't it?

Menneisyys2, the RushPlayer+ mention was because of your recommendation to me quite some time ago. Currently, you don't recommend it?

I know. Just thought it was hilarious as more valid questions were being ignored. LOL

6. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Yeah depending on the files you need to play, it will more than likely require the in app purchase to play the file you wish to play. Still a great option compared to VLC which isn't available currently.

7. mrmister macrumors regular

I use nPlayer—it seems to handle .mkv. Does it not?

8. Watermann macrumors member

Any free alternative to play rtp://.. streams? paid?

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It does. However, if you plan to stream MKV's over AirPlay, get Infuse instead.

----------

I still recommend it as a decent free(!) player - much more CPU-efficient than, say, the also-JB-only and also-free XBMC.

However, as it hasn't been lately updated with new features, some AppStore players handle some specific areas (e.g., AirPlay streaming; streaming from network drives; displaying non-textual subtitles like VobSub ones; gesture support) much-much better than back 2.5 years ago, when RushPlayer+ was one of the best and most recommended players.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

11. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

For some odd reason, VLC gets working after a random number of relaunches. Will wait for the impending re-re-release. :)

12. leventozler macrumors 6502

VLC 2.4.1 is back in purchased tab for a week now. The app, somehow, is not yt out, but at least you can download it.