iOS 8.1 vs 8.0 Battery Life

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by w00t951, Nov 11, 2014.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I've had a noticeable drop in battery life after upgrading to iOS 8.1 on my iPhone 6 Plus. Anyone else have similar behavior? I have the exact same setup on both installs and I'm getting 1-1.5 hours less on 8.1.

Note - Yes, I know that Music is higher on the iOS 8.0 screenshot. It's probably because I was using Bluetooth Airplay that day, as opposed to headphones on the iOS 8.1 screenshot.

You can see that my usage patterns are very similar.

Attached Files:

2. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

there's really nothing to make of the difference in usage... one hour less usage but three hours more standby... i'm not sure what part's noticeable lol

3. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

Isn't your 8.1 screenshot indicated more Data Usage than 8.0?
    you spend more time on Messaging and Gmail which use CELLULAR network, and was on a longer standby as well. It kinda of washout in-terms of Battery power...

the different isn't as significant as an seem between 8 and 8.1. I personally feel 8.1 provided extra battery power...

4. freemannnn macrumors member

For me the same. I feel one hour less after going from 8 to 8.1. I even setup as new and still problem persists

5. Gfive macrumors newbie

Gfive

Glad I am not the only one. IOS 8.1 needs a battery fix and soon....

6. freemannnn macrumors member

i went to 8.0.2 from 7 with upgrade (no setup as new) and no problems at all. even i test some 8.1 beta and there wasnt problem. after i installed the final 8.1 battery drains without reason. you cannot see it also in battery usage. what the **** apple??????

7. psha85 macrumors newbie

I notice I'm getting much less usage time per hour, as well (I have an iPhone 6). For example, before 8.1, it would take about 3 hours of usage time to get to 70%. Now it only takes 2 and it gets worse after that. Attached are screenshots I took of the battery usage before and after the 8.1 update.

The first image is pretty normal usage timings for me (it was taken Monday, October 20th). The second image (from yesterday), is after starting out with 100% in the morning.

As you can see, it's quite a huge difference. The weird thing is that messaging seems to take up more battery life than it used to. Yes, I do text quite a bit during the day but the frequency of this has not changed between now and October 20th. It shouldn't be using THAT much battery life. I took it to the Genius Bar day before yesterday to ask them about this problem and the girl told me that she saw some crashing from the Messages app in Diagnostics Information and she felt that maybe since the update, there was something causing that app to use more battery. So she suggested erasing the phone and restoring from an iCloud backup. I did this the same day when I got home but, as you can see, the problem is no better (though there are no more crashes listed in the diagnostics information).

I have no idea what else I can do to fix this and I'm getting really tired of having to charge this twice a day now (I used to have to do this with my iPhone 5, as well). If anyone has had a similar problem, I would appreciate suggestions. And before you ask, I'm doing all of the normal battery saving tricks, like turning off background app refresh, not having it check for mail all the time (it's manual), brightness is down, I turn wifi off when not using it, I don't leave apps open, etc etc etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Pooja

Attached Files:

8. timmax macrumors member

Have you tried Reset All Settings?

9. freemannnn macrumors member

iOS 8.1 vs 8.0 Battery Life

I start charging it also twice a day after clean install of 8.1. And even 8.1.1 beta same ****.

10. psha85 macrumors newbie

Yes, I did that as soon as I came home from the Apple Store. The second screenshot is after doing that so it didn't fix anything. I've also done a few complete battery drains since installing 8.1 and that doesn't seem to help either.

11. psha85 macrumors newbie

Actually, I misunderstood what you were asking. I only erased the phone and restored the other day, I didn't try resetting all settings. I've just done that now and put them back to normal so we'll see if this helps!

12. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

I briefly tested 8.1 on my IP6 for 24 hours, it was draining 20% more batt life and revert back to 8.0.

Only thing I can assume, the NFC is draining more batt life when it's activated on iOS 8.1+

No official ApplePay in Canada, pointless to on stay on that build for me.

13. YouGoGlenCocoa macrumors member

How can i revert to 8.0.2!? My battery life on my 6 plus is terrible since 8.1

14. newellj macrumors 601

I ran 8.0 on my two iPhone 6es until 8.01 was released. My battery run time hasn't changed at all.

15. golfnut1982 macrumors regular

golfnut1982

Double check under location services to see whether the app is checked always on or checked while using the app. Could be the difference. Also check the system services and determine which ones you want on.

16. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I'm getting great battery life from a 6+ on 8.1

17. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Were you restoring from a backup when the right screenshot was taken? Backup and restore was using a lot of battery and if you're restoring form a backup you'll get like 4 hours of usage on a charge.

18. psha85 macrumors newbie

It was actually plugged in while it was finishing the restore so when I woke up in the morning, the restore was done and I had 100% battery.

I also tried the "reset all settings" trick and have observed it for a few days now. It's marginally better but still nowhere near what it was on iOS 8.0. I'm still only getting about 4-5 hours of usage time by the time it falls to 20%. I used to get about 10 hours. So it's a big difference. However, I think the problem is isolated to the Messages app because usage time decreases on days when I text more and on days when I don't, I have a much greater usage time, closer to what it used to be. But what it used to be was when I was texting a lot too, so something seems to have changed there. Messages shouldn't be allocating 50% of battery life!

I really hope Apple fixes this in the next update.....