iOS 8.2 b5 battery life?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Khoke717, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Khoke717 macrumors newbie

How is battery life on iOS 8.2 b5 compared to iOS 8.1.3? I have been getting roughly 5 hours of usage on iOS 8.1.3 and thinking about updating to 8.2.

Yes I know it's a beta..... Just hoping for some improvement hopefully.

2. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

This is mine so far on iOS 8.2b5 iPhone 6 64GB MLC

Attached Files:

3. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

That's some good battery life, however it doesn't look like you use Facebook... This is mine on 8.1.3 iPhone 6 64GB MLC

Attached Files:

4. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

Facebooks app is rubbish, install the Messenger App and use Safari for browsing Facebook replies to posts and threads get emailed to me anyway so i use that for my notifications :)

5. ProducerIan macrumors newbie

Crikey I've never managed more than 8 hours on my 6 Plus. Wonder what I'm doing differently? Perhaps it's Facebook abusing something?

6. Khoke717 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was getting pretty bad battery life on 8.2 b5 so I did a clean install of iOS 8.3 b1. Battery life has gotten much better with 8.3

Attached Files:

7. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

iPhone 6? Is there a lot of bugs in 8.3?

8. Khoke717 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes for iPhone 6. I haven't really noticed any bugs but I also don't spend time just for them. It's a lot more stable than 8.1.3. Not as many app crashes for me

9. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

That looks like perfectly normal battery to me. The main thing to achieve the best battery life is to keep the brightness down and heavy cpu usage down. What was your brightness set at? How were you using safari/Facebook app? Scrolling and loading pages at will or mostly idling? All of these different factors/behaviors in which you use apps will dramatically affect how fast or slow it drains the battery. It's not always the iOS version or app you are using that's draining your battery. It's the behavior in which you use your phone. That's why you see so many differences in usage times. Some people listen to audio with the screen off and you see those 8-10 hr batter numbers. If you have the screen on at all times on the 6 at 50% or less brightness good luck getting more than 7 hours usage! :) Looks like you used the app store to download some apps. That will spike cpu usage and drain the battery faster too. The A8 is very good at idle power consumption but it eats the battery when it's drawing full power!

I keep seeing all of these posts wondering if battery life is better in this or that version of iOS. From my expierence from iOS 4 to iOS 8 is that no one version of an iOS has actually impacted battery life on any of my devices the iPhone 4,5 and now my 6 in any noticeable way! This is all just from expierence and usage over the years. Once and awhile you have a stuck process that loops and eats up your cpu. Download a cpu monitoring app from the app store and check in on your cpu throughout the day and make sure it isn't acting up. If it is you need to reboot. I've been doing this since my iPhone 4 and that's how I make sure nothing's going weird and I have consistent battery life.

Sure new iOS versions knock out bugs and battery draining processes that might pop up once and awhile but usually it's the user who is making themselves think its the iOS that's killing their battery. Sometimes it could be in rare cases but from my expierence and common sense I've haven't seen a dramatic difference in battery life from one version of an iOS to the next. My two cents. ;)