iOS 8.3 iPhone 5S BSOD!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sstyle, Oct 28, 2015.

1. sstyle macrumors regular

Please help. This week my iPhone reboot every 1-2 hours with blue screen.

Crash log:

2. Dented macrumors 6502a

Looking at the number of times "splash board" is mentioned I'd assume it was a problem with whatever that is - uninstall it and see if that fixes things. Otherwise - I can see from this your phone is jailbroken- tbh if you're using sketchy cydia apps on there then the world is your oyster, anything and everything could be wrong with the phone since you're allowing third party devs to mess with whatever they like. Not a course of action I would personally take.

3. chrfr, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015

chrfr macrumors 603

Is your phone jailbroken? Resprings like that were a frequent problem in iOS 8.3 with the 5S. Updating iOS will fix it, but you will lose the jailbreak unless you upgrade to 9.0.2 and jailbreak that. If you aren't using jailbreak features, it's worthwhile to start over with a newer version of iOS (which would be iOS 9.1 at this point.)
    If you want to stay jailbroken and use iOS 9.0.2, act quickly before Apple stops signing it.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm seeing Splashboard crash and Winterboard. Perhaps @eyoungren can help out? This issue may be better suiting for the Jailbreaking subforum.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OP just needs to uninstall whatever tweak is causing the offense.

I can't tell from the crash logs what tweak that might be, but it usually starts with the last tweak installed.

If OP has been jailbreaking for awhile then this is some basic troubleshooting OP should already know. But if it was a phone OP got and was unaware that it was jailbroken then a DFU upgrade and restore is probably a better choice here.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

For the record, jailbreaking is not inherently unsafe nor does it automatically compromise you. What you do after you jailbreak is where the issues come in. Responsibility for the security of your device switches from Apple to yourself.

So, if you install repos outside of the safe and controlled stock repos then that is where you open yourself up. Particularly, if piracy is your intent. Also for the record, I do not jailbreak for piracy. I pay for my tweaks and apps whether they come from Cydia or the App store.

And Cydia, by the way is a legitimate business.

Like a lot of things though, if you install incompatible tweaks you have problems. Uninstalling them usually takes care of the problem. Cydia has a lot of incompatible tweaks for newer phones because there are many older devices on older versions of iOS on Cydia that need those older tweaks. Unlike the App store, Cydia maintains older versions of stuff.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It certainly will. At the cost of the OPs jailbreak.

Or the OP can just uninstall the offending tweak and that will fix it too. So, your solution is not the only one.

8. Dented macrumors 6502a

For the record, I never said a word about piracy! Interesting that you immediately bring that up!

I don't dispute anything you say but in this case, the op has clearly jail broken their phone, installed who knows what, and is now turning to this forum blankly to ask what could possibly be wrong - the point I'm trying to underline is that because it's jail broken and there are non-AppStore apps on there, it could potentially be anything. The whole point of jail breaking is to disable Apple's controls over what can run and what devs can access with their apps - therefore the resulting problems when things go wrong can potentially be far more wide ranging than the average iOS issue.

If you don't know what you're doing, or how to troubleshoot issues (as you suggest) you shouldn't really be jail broken.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

You're right and I will edit my post to clarify that. Resprings were pretty common in earlier versions of iOS 8 even on non-jailbroken phones.
    The OP can still upgrade to 9.0.2 and jailbreak that, however.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I bring it up because it is often thought of as the major reason for jailbreaking. The very term jailbreaking to those who do not know a lot about it might imply something shady.

I agree.