• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the introduction of iOS 8.3 on Apple's mobile devices yesterday, business owners now have the opportunity to claim a point of interest in Apple Maps as their own, thanks to a few additions to the Report a Problem prompt that can be found on each point of interest in Maps (via AppleMapsMarketing).

File-Apr-09-7-00-05-AM-800x711.png
Located at the bottommost section of a business' Map page, the Report a Problem button leads business owners to another section that, along with basic troubleshooting, allows them to claim their business for their own. Following a redirection to Apple Maps Connect and a series of questions, Apple reviews the user's answers to confirm ownership, eventually allowing business owners control over their Map's point of interest and letting them "manage its information."

Apple has been giving Maps heavy attention lately, in attempts to steer away from the initial backlash against the app, with the company allowing TripAdvisor and Booking.com reviews to join the service alongside the long-instated Yelp reviews. Apple even introduced a small but noteworthy feature back in February when it began animating popular landmarks within the Maps app itself. Aside from Maps' new features, iOS 8.3 brought about a bunch of new bug fixes and updates, from small tweaks to Passbook and Photos to the introduction of entirely new emojis.

Article Link: iOS 8.3 Maps Update Allows Business Owners to Claim POI Listings

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
This seems pretty rad. At least on paper. Curious to see how this plays out. And interesting move. If not smart.
Power to the people?

Comment

robjulo

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2010
Can I do something as basic as scrolling the map while navigating yet?

Comment

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Can I do something as basic as scrolling the map while navigating yet?

While Apple focuses on working out your needs, you can focus on driving instead of looking at the phone and scrolling around in it.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Great idea, not so great execution

I think the idea is pretty sweet. Why bury the functionality in a counter-intuitive place like Report a Problem? :confused:

----------

While Apple focuses on working out your needs, you can focus on driving instead of looking at the phone and scrolling around in it.

That person could be walking. Or on public trans trying to gauge next part of route. Could be a passenger in a car. Could be parked. The question was legitimate. Your answer was not.

Comment

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Rats, seems they will not let me claim ownership of either Apple or Microsoft. My plot is foiled again.

Comment

SCCoast

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
South Carolina
This data will be an important database. Small business information is difficult to acquire particularly with owners names and email addresses. Some of the most complete data currently available is from Acxion and is based on an annual scan of the White Pages as archaic as this sounds. Based on the quantity of new openings and closing shift between phone books, the data filled with errors and omissions.

Comment

iAshley

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
I wish when you click the Yelp reviews is opens in app rather than leaving the app and opening Yelp. Maps only shows a few lines, I want to see the whole review in Maps.

Comment

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Apple is still playing catch up. This has been part of google maps for years. Google mails a postcard with a pin for you to claim ownership of a business POI.

Comment

iAshley

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
What would be really handy, rather than updating the data on maps is if Apple created a central webpage for my businesses details.

I would only have to update that site with opening hours, phone numbers, location etc. And other sites like Apple Maps, my own website etc. can access that data.

Rather than me having to enter it into apple maps, onto our website on to google etc. As long as they left it open for anyone I give permission to, to access the data (including Google, I think they'd get more data than relying on people to update Maps specfically.

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
How are disputes handled, I wonder. I can imagine someone claiming a business only to have someone else say it's theirs. Probably not something that will happen a lot, but I bet it will enough to warrant a process being in place.

Comment

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
What would be really handy, rather than updating the data on maps is if Apple created a central webpage for my businesses details.

I would only have to update that site with opening hours, phone numbers, location etc. And other sites like Apple Maps, my own website etc. can access that data.

Rather than me having to enter it into apple maps, onto our website on to google etc. As long as they left it open for anyone I give permission to, to access the data (including Google, I think they'd get more data than relying on people to update Maps specfically.
Took me here: https://mapsconnect.apple.com/

Worked pretty slick. Had done this with Google Maps ages ago.

Comment

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Apple is still playing catch up. This has been part of google maps for years. Google mails a postcard with a pin for you to claim ownership of a business POI.

Did this really need to be said?
Apple Maps is barely reaching 3 years old.

Comment

Youngy

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Weird 'claim this business' doesnt show up for me in iOS 8.3 (in UK) but mapsconnect web works.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.