Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Is it just me, or is iOS 8.3 making my 5s a bit sluggish/slow? I feel like everything takes a bit longer to respond and animations/UI transitions are a bit choppy at times. Kind of like working with a device that's not SLOW, but kind of "dim" and takes a bit longer to respond.

I did a DFU fresh install (no restore from iCloud or iTunes) of 8.3 on my 5s, btw. Got 12gb free out of 32gb, so it can't be the hardware/storage limitations.

Anyone else experiencing slow performance on their 5s'es?

Last edited:

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
iOS 8.0 to 8.1 were choppier than iOS 7 in places but since iOS 8.2 my 5s has been on par with iOS 7 apart from the expanding/collapsing cities in the weather app which sometimes drops the odd frame.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
iOS 8.3 sluggish on 5s

I do think iOS 8.3 is considerably more buggy/glitchy than iOS 7.1.2. It's a great pity because there is a lot to like about it otherwise, but these issues detract greatly from the user experience.

I mean, yesterday I couldn't even move the cursor to the start of the search box at Google, so I had to erase the whole query string and start again. Today I had a page reloading endlessly. Other times I have had a page seemingly loaded, but when I try to scroll it it seems to start reloading a picture or something and stutters momentarily. Sometimes I'm thrown by this and accidentally click on a link and then have to go back. Oh, and yesterday I downloaded a file in Safari and I could see the "open in ..." option in the tab view, but in the normal view the page was just blank. Not very helpful given that the option is unselectable in the only view in which it appears. I don't know whether this is some WebKit issue or whatever, but I do know it didn't happen in iOS 7.1.2. It's almost as though they've got the numbers switched and iOS 7.1.2 is really iOS 8.3 and vice versa ;)

I cannot for the life of me understand why programs and capabilities that were once near flawless have regressed to this state. I do recall issues with the Google search box a couple of years ago, but by iOS 7.1.2 it was all fine. Not anymore, it seems.

While I'm ranting on: in the videos app there are no video titles that I can see. All there is is a selection of stills from the videos. I have four lectures in there, but the stills used are the same for each video. Hence they all look the same and there is no way of knowing, without playing them, which is which. There is a point at which making something simpler (e.g., by not showing titles) actually makes it more difficult, more complicated, to use. I mean, you can make a house simpler by removing the windows and doors, and then you have to climb down the chimney to get in. Ok, rant over :)

Last edited:
Reactions: sunking101

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
8.3 is the best release to date since IOS 7 was introduced with the iphone 5S. It's better than IOS 7.1.2 and does resolve a number of niggling issues that seem to have lingered on through the various iterations of IOS 8.

8.3 is not sluggish whatsoever on my 5s; not to say it is perfect however.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Not for me :S

iOS 8 is excellent on my 5S. 8.3 was great, currently on the beta for 8.4 and its fine.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is it just me, or is iOS 8.3 making my 5s a bit sluggish/slow? I feel like everything takes a bit longer to respond and animations/UI transitions are a bit choppy at times. Kind of like working with a device that's not SLOW, but kind of "dim" and takes a bit longer to respond.

I did a DFU fresh install (no restore from iCloud or iTunes) of 8.3 on my 5s, btw. Got 12gb free out of 32gb, so it can't be the hardware/storage limitations.

Compared to what?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
8.3 isn't sluggish on my 5s, but it isn't as stable as 8.2 was. I get more temporary freezes under 8.3 (even on my iPad Air 2) and I've seen more Apple logo crashes, which seem to cascade across handoff (crash on iPhone triggers crash on iPad and vice-versa).

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
While I'm ranting on: in the videos app there are no video titles that I can see. All there is is a selection of stills from the videos. I have four lectures in there, but the stills used are the same for each video. Hence they all look the same and there is no way of knowing, without playing them, which is which. There is a point at which making something simpler (e.g., by not showing titles) actually makes it more difficult, more complicated, to use. I mean, you can make a house simpler by removing the windows and doors, and then you have to climb down the chimney to get in. Ok, rant over :)

The main reason for that is Apple wants us to identify videos and movies by their Album Art. Movies and Albums purchased through iTunes store have that.

Apple doesn't like us storing ANY other videos on our iDevices. Hence it's done on purpose. Most average non-OCD consumers do not properly tag or embed album art in their videos hence this problem.

mengyun.jiang

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2015
The main reason for that is Apple wants us to identify videos and movies by their Album Art. Movies and Albums purchased through iTunes store have that.

Apple doesn't like us storing ANY other videos on our iDevices. Hence it's done on purpose. Most average non-OCD consumers do not properly tag or embed album art in their videos hence this problem.

I am updating my 5s now, hope I will not encounter the same issue as you.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Have to say my iPhone 6 Plus is buttery smooth. ��

It very likely has its fair share of stuttering too, you fortunately just don't happen to notice it.

----------

It's iOS 8. That's really all I can say. Happens on the 6 and 6 Plus too. But it was significantly worse on 8.0 and 8.1.

----------

iOS 8.0 to 8.1 were choppier than iOS 7 in places but since iOS 8.2 my 5s has been on par with iOS 7 apart from the expanding/collapsing cities in the weather app which sometimes drops the odd frame.

I still have issues with how it's choppy when you auto-scroll in some places. Notes, charts, lists in general.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
Scrolling nicer on 8.4? Or I have just grown accustomed to 8.3 treacleware?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.