iOS 8.4 breaks Google Hangouts calling

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mi7chy, Jul 3, 2015.

1. mi7chy, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Did iOS 8.4 break Google Hangouts calling over WIFI to any landline or cell number for anyone else? I now get "invalid number" for any number I attempt to dial which was working in 8.3. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling app but same issue. Next step is reverting back to iOS 8.3 before Apple stops signing it. I use this on iPad without cellular to have calling capability over WIFI.

Does Apple do this on purpose because I can't imagine them not QA testing a high profile and essential app?

2. cynics macrumors G3

Its a stretch but the app may need to be updated. I'd also try reseting the iPhone (lock button + home until you see the Apple logo) just to make sure its not a small hiccup.

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It's not up to apple to make sure 3rd party apps run on any of their updates. It's up the the 3rd party app developer. So no, Apple doesn't do it on purpose and no, it's not up to them to QA test "high profile and essential apps"

4. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Totally disagree. If a software company has that "not up to us" mindset they are on a slide to the archive. One of my jobs is to do exactly that for my company: identify critical user apps/functions and make sure they work or have a decent short term work-around.

It is precisely this reason, for me, that my iPhone 6+ is no longer my go to device. Apps I consider critical no longer work consistently.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Video calling works, not the same I understand, but I don't use it for anything else. As far as it being essential, it depends on who.

For me it's not essential, but it does seem Apple leaves regression testing to the developers.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It's 100% not up to Apple to make sure as you call it "critical apps" that are 3rd party to function after updates. API's and such can change slightly between updates and it's up to that 3rd party to make those changes as well. 3rd party apps aren't Apple's product, thus not their responsibility, they just support having them and provide the developers with the API's to make them work.

It's like World of Warcraft and Addons. Patches in WoW can often break or cause Addons to not fully function. Addons are not Blizzards product but support having them (just like apps on a phone.) Blizzard provides API changes that were made so that the Addon developers can make those changes to get it working again (during beta or with smaller patches they call PTR's. (public test realms))