Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have two email accounts set up in the stock mail app: a personal iCloud and a school Gmail. I've never had any issues with ether. Both are set to fetch every 15 minutes, but since iOS 8 I noticed that when I opened the Mail app, it would say "Last Sync Yesterday" a lot, but I was still getting my Mail, so I thought it was a bug.

Now I'm getting far more emails (20+ a day). I got up this morning and check my phone's lock screen and there was nothing. I went in the mail app and manually went into my school inbox and then I received two messages that had been sent an hour ago.

Is there any reason this might be happening? That is unacceptable.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
I have two email accounts set up in the stock mail app: a personal iCloud and a school Gmail. I've never had any issues with ether. Both are set to fetch every 15 minutes, but since iOS 8 I noticed that when I opened the Mail app, it would say "Last Sync Yesterday" a lot, but I was still getting my Mail, so I thought it was a bug.

Now I'm getting far more emails (20+ a day). I got up this morning and check my phone's lock screen and there was nothing. I went in the mail app and manually went into my school inbox and then I received two messages that had been sent an hour ago.

Killing innocent people is unacceptable.

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
I set up my gmail for work as exchange instead of default gmail. this way it gives push notify instead of polling it every 15 by imap.

I set up my gmail for work as Exchange instead of default gmail. this way it gives push notify instead of polling it every 15 by imap. For edu account, this is the recommended way of adding gmail to mobile.
using the default gmail type, there's also a way to disable syncing, i.e., set to manual fetch, that's what probably happened to your account.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I set up my gmail for work as exchange instead of default gmail. this way it gives push notify instead of polling it every 15 by imap.

I set up my gmail for work as Exchange instead of default gmail. this way it gives push notify instead of polling it every 15 by imap. For edu account, this is the recommended way of adding gmail to mobile.
using the default gmail type, there's also a way to disable syncing, i.e., set to manual fetch, that's what probably happened to your account.

Thank you. I thought gmail dropped exchange support though.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Not for business/education/paid accounts.

they did for free gmail.com accounts, but not for paying customers, like governmental/edu/enterprise accounts.

I'm curious about something. I got up this morning and opened the Mail app and it said "Last Updated 2:03 am" and manually refreshed it. What's odd is that I'm getting my mail normally throughout the day.

Could this be iOS "intelligent" power consumption thing? I know when iOS 7 was introduced, Apple commented that iOS would learn what apps to keep updated in the background. It seems to only happen at night when I won't be using my phone.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
push doesnt work 100% even if you set it up as exchange by the way. There are multiple threads about that here, just search around.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I got up this morning and my iPhone showed no new messages. When I opened my Mac, there were 4 new messages in the OS X Mail app. Once I manually went in to the mail app on my iPhone, it fetched the 4 messages but said "Last Sync Yesterday."

Reactions: drumcat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.