iOS 8.4 - random reboots - cannot open Music app

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ace8cjc, Jul 18, 2015.

1. ace8cjc macrumors newbie

Hi all -

Is anyone else experiencing random crashes with iOS 8.4? Multiple times a day. It occurs when I'm using any number of apps (browsing safari, viewing photos, etc). It crashes and hangs on the black screen / apple logo. I then have to force reboot (power + home button) to get it working again.

In addition, I cannot open the new Music app whatsoever. I select it and it closes instantaneously. The same thing happens to Instagram, but only sometimes. I haven't seen this happen with any other app.

This didn't happen immediately after the 8.4 upgrade. I've had the phone (iPhone 6+) for months, and 8.4 since it was released. And this only started happening a week ago.

The issue still persists after reseting my phone and restoring from an iCloud backup.

I'm traveling abroad, so getting to an Apple Store for diagnostics is tricky. Any advice?

2. ace8cjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future, here is how I resolved it:

I had to reset the iPhone via iTunes on my computer, which is different than a reset from the phone itself (which wasn't working). From my computer, I reset and restored it as a new phone. Then, on the phone, reset it again but this time restored from my iCloud backup.

And viola, everything is working.

3. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

your issue might be software related and you alredy solved it with simple steps.

btw have you got and 3rd party keyboards installed? i'm asking for random reboots

4. ace8cjc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input!

I didn't know that wiping your phone via iTunes was different than wiping it from the phone itself. I don't have any third party keyboards.

The Music app is working great now, and I haven't had a crash since.

5. Makale.Helvetia macrumors 6502a

Makale.Helvetia

of course :)

it's the best way to update.

8.4.1 beta looks like a little bit better.