Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
This iOS 8.4 bug on Apple's flagship tablet is embarrassing and taking all too long to fix.

Not to mention that for many the 5 finger pinch gesture also has a delay now...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7107018

I guess not everybody has this issue, but I sure do with my new iPad Air 2.

I have neither of these issues, mine is very fast & very smooth. Have you tried a hard reset/boot? If that doesn't work, I'd try restoring to new.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I am going to try and restore to new. For me, this issue might have possibly been caused by me using an older version of iTunes on my 2010 MBP running OS X Mountain Lion to update the new iPad Air 2 from 8.x.x to 8.4. But if there was an issue using an older iTunes version and an older Mac OS X version, at least the software should have been smart enough to not let me do such an iOS update on older iTunes/OS X versions...oh well, Apple's software certainly has had its issues lately.

EDIT: (the obvious) hard reset fix and also restore to new did not fix this issue. Still a delay to wake from either button. Rotation and 5 finger close gesture are also poorly functioning when reduced motion is turned on.

Last edited:

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I just got my Air 2 and the slow wake time had me wondering. It's a very obvious delay. Hopefully a fix comes.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Can you tell me how to recreate this slow wake up, and just how slow you are talking about? I really don't notice this on mine.

Last edited:

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Can you tell me how to recreate this slow wake up, and just how slow you ate talking about? I really don't notice this on mine.

I have this as well. For me when I press home and hold for unlock. The moment I press home nothing happens, screen is black. Then maybe 1-2 seconds later the screen turns on and it's already at the home screen. I never saw the lock screen. Other times the screen turns on directly and I'll see the lock screen and the unlock animation to home screen.

Reactions: randy98mtu

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I have this as well. For me when I press home and hold for unlock. The moment I press home nothing happens, screen is black. Then maybe 1-2 seconds later the screen turns on and it's already at the home screen. I never saw the lock screen. Other times the screen turns on directly and I'll see the lock screen and the unlock animation to home screen.

Wow, mine never does that. It's nearly instant for me, I would have never guessed people hare having such issues.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I've noticed this as well. There's now a brief delay when you press the home button to wake up the device. It's not extremely long (it's not 1-2 seconds for me), but definitely noticeable. It didn't happen before I installed 8.4.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I've noticed this as well. There's now a brief delay when you press the home button to wake up the device. It's not extremely long (it's not 1-2 seconds for me), but definitely noticeable. It didn't happen before I installed 8.4.

Yeah maybe not 1-2 seconds. But it feels like it. Maybe 0,5-1. Same here after 8.4.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I have this on my Air 1 as well. It was like this in 8.2, it was fixed in 8.3 and it's now back in 8.4. Sometimes the screen doesn't wake up for 1-2 seconds, and sometimes it wakes up instantly but doesn't respond to touch for 1-2 seconds and sometimes it's instant.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Same for me. I just got my iPad Air 2 on Monday. When first started using it I set up my iPad as new( I usually don't restore from back up with new idevices). It was slow waking up after updating to 8.4. Apple needs to get on this. The lag is very noticeable when waking up the device.

My mom's iPad Air 2 is the same.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Have the 1-2 sec delay as well when I unlock the Air 2. The delay only occurs after the screen has been off a few minutes. Need fix asap plz!!

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I did a restore to new and did NOT use my old backup, but instead rebuilt my setup fresh from new. This fixed every issue I was having except the 1 second delay to wake from sleep.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I have this on my iPad Air 2, as well. It doesn't always happen, but it happens more often than not. However, I've also noticed it on my iPad Mini 2. It doesn't seem to occur quite as often, but it happens. It's a bit of a nuisance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.