iOS 8 - absurd download times/fails..

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by RWil85, Sep 20, 2014.

1. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

If this is in the wrong sub forum, my apologies..

I typically wait 2-3 days after major OS releases to download/install to allow the heaviest traffic to die down..so, I did all proper iCloud/iTunes backups, etc. - then, wiped my phone to factory and tried to upgrade.

I've connected my iPhone 5 to my laptop to update through iTunes - no dice. Said upwards of 30 hours estimated download time and has failed after trying for 20 minutes three separate times. Forget that. I've since tried from the iPhone itself - but, is either giving me the 'update requested' message, the 'downloading…' message (with no estimated time), and also once gave me an estimated time of 16 hours (only to fail 10 minutes later).

Seemingly, this update is impossible to get at the moment..

(sorry it took this long) but, my question - is there any other way to acquire the file that needs to be pushed to the phone through iTunes or something of that nature to avoid having to go through Apple's servers? Thinking the answer is no…but, figured I'd take a shot. I mean - I've got plenty of time to sit here and wait for an answer :D :apple:

thanks!

2. phositadc macrumors 6502

Keep trying. I got it downloaded in less than 10 minutes this morning around 930am.

3. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

Not that it was do or die..

But, tried sporadically last night because of what you said - ended up downloading in like 15 minutes and installing for ~35-40 minutes I guess.

Thanks again.