iOS 8 and iPad 3

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by JSchwartz15, Nov 2, 2014.

1. JSchwartz15 macrumors regular

I installed iOS 8 on my 3rd Gen iPad (the first to have a Retina display). It was slow, which I kind of expected considering it's the third iteration of iOS to be available to this iPad, but it has a huge problem - it consistently restarts my iPad! I can only get a few minutes of use out of the thing before it restarts itself! Anyone else having this problem or know a way to fix it?

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I have a 64GB iPad 3 running on 8.1. It's runs fair but it does have it's lag points when opening apps. and browsing. Mine freezes up sometimes (while posting to forums) and I HAVE to restart it, but I've never had it just restart on it's own.

3. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

I feel like I am one of the luckiest iDevice owners. My iPad 3 runs just fine on iOS 8. Sure its a little slower than 7, but not to the point where it's a problem

4. JSchwartz15 thread starter macrumors regular

So do you think it's just a bad install? Would a restore work? Should I back it up or might that re-create the problem?

5. CrzyP macrumors 6502

iOS 8 and iPad 3

My iPad 3 was a wreck until iOS 8.1. Still slow but usable now.

6. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

IOS8 on my 64GB iPad3 is terrible, sorry to say. Maybe it's just Safari. Page loads take forever. The copy / paste issue hasn't been fixed. Then there are the myriad usability issues like swapping the bookmark and send icons in the menu bar. I haven't had the WiFi issues that others are reporting, though.

All in all, I can't say that IOS8 on my iPad3 has been a positive experience. Now, Safari on my rMBP with Yosemite IS a positive experience, though I still prefer Firefox.

There has been some scuttlebutt that Apple intentionally put features into IOS8 that would cause it to run slower, in the hopes that people would get frustrated with the performance to the point where they'd upgrade to a new iPad. I can't believe Apple is that conspiratorial, though it might be the case that some features are, in fact, more system resource intensive. But if IOS8 ever gets to the point where it is totally unusable on my iPad3, there is no way I'd get a newer one. If Apple wants to obsolete their devices like that, then they'd lose me as a customer. At least for tablets, anyway.

7. ocat macrumors newbie

I did manage to get my ipad 3 64 gig to run a little better on 8.1, I did a complete wipe and re-downloaded all of the apps from app store, then transferred photos, music and other pdf crap I have.
    I dont have many apps installed (2 1/2 pages worth), Ive done some of known tweaks which helped, but shutting certain things down that I want running, basically rendered my ipad useless to what I want to use it for, so its user beware, everybody has different uses.
    If I had a choice, I would have left the ipad on 6.12 and use it till it died.