iOS 8 and Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by L Oquence, Mar 7, 2015.

1. L Oquence, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

L Oquence macrumors regular

L Oquence

Obviously, in terms of syncing, iOS 8 and Leopard just do not mix at all if you try to plug an iPhone/iPad/iToaster iNto iT.

HOWEVER. If you use an iCloud email, you can sync your contacts, calendar, files, photos, and more with your ios8 device on iCloud.com.

Using fluid 0.9 you make an iCloud app, and then change the user agent to an updated browser. (I put mine as "Firefox 35."), if you skip this step it won't load.

Perfect. (If you use another email address currently you can always have that email address automatically forward emails.)

Next, for music. Itunes match on Itunes 10 still works just fine if you have an iphone or ipad with data or you have a wifi connection on your device, and you save space on your phone and unless you have more than 10,000 songs for $25 a year you get access to your full powerpc music collection, from the cloud.

So you have music, contacts, calendar, photos, and more all syncing between your powerpc mac and device, using the iCloud app, so it goes in your dock and feels seamless with the operating system. :')

This is my method, hope everyone enjoys.

Also, you can video chat skype on live.com too now but Fluid wouldn't place nice with it... but I think you could through a web browser on ppc, so skype is back! lol.

2. eyoungren, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Unless things have changed, using iCloud for contacts is still only one way.

By that I mean, you can only add contacts/calendar items to your phone using the phone itself.

This is one of the reasons I went with Google for contacts and calendar. You can take that one step farther and hook up Google calendar and the contacts to Address Book and iCal. I've laid out a post on how to do that. It's a bit involved because iCal did not do WebDav until Snow Leopard. It involves an old third party app called CalGoo as well as some terminal commands to force the Mac to actually sync with Google.

Once you have that then you can link Entourage to iCal and Address Book and from there any device in the chain can create, delete and modify calendar items and contacts.

As for music, I use Google Play. Google has a PowerPC System Preference and Google Music app. Both of those work in conjunction to monitor my iTunes library. Every playlist created, song added or removed is reflected to Google Play. On my iPhone I have the Google Music app and on my other Macs I have a Fluid made Google Play app. I can listen to my entire library anywhere and not just specific songs.

No iTunes Match involved. Google Play is free.

Oh yeah. When jailbroken, Netatalk allows me to mount my iPhone as a drive on my Mac and transfer files to and from my phone. iFile lets me move files around ON the phone and Bridge lets me put files where I want them, ringtones in tones, music in iTunes, video in the camera roll, etc.

3. L Oquence thread starter macrumors regular

L Oquence

Yeah I know there are other ways to do it! I just like mine because it uses the native iPhone apps. I saw you had a whole post about syncing yours. It went quite in depth.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, your suggestions seems to be the preferred way. It's far easier than mine so unless someone has a reason to link Entourage and iCal with Google it's probably the better way.

I prefer NOT to use the native Apple apps. In a different thread I discuss why, but suffice it to say here that I find iCal, Address Book and Mail lacking. In any case though, for a majority of Apple users they work just fine.

As to music though, I do maintain that automatically having your entire iTunes library and playlists synced to Google automatically without ever having to think about it is preferable to iTunes Match. No fees, no hassle.

However, my entire music library was not purchased off iTunes. It was ripped to iTunes so for me this is a better alternative. And some people do not care for Google so at least they have iTunes Match in that case.

5. L Oquence thread starter macrumors regular

L Oquence

Yeah for sure, cloud apps in general are making things easier for PowerPC than before.

And that's true, the Google match service is free which is nice.

I just like the native apps on my iPhone because I find having two sets of the same app redundant. For mail contacts calendar etc I use iCloud.com in a fluid website as mentioned before, and it works for me. But then again you're much more of a power user than me.

Speaking of cloud apps, if you or anyone else gets a chance, someone should see if they can get browser Skype on live.com working! If it does than skype on PPC would be possible again. I haven't personally tried it as i don't have a webcam.

6. mikiotty macrumors 6502

mikiotty

Can you link me that post?

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren