iOS 8 and low memory in iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Budiosx, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Budiosx macrumors regular

Budiosx

i am just wondering if iOS 8 features (widgets ,spotlight, new keyboards and extensibility) could affect the iPhone 5s performance if they worked with multiple apps like what is happening in android these additions eat system memory and performance :confused:

this picture from my iPhone 5s with no app running just system services (in idle time it shows 265MB free memory)

Attached Files:

2. jlsm511 macrumors 6502

jlsm511

Remember its a beta. Things might be broken (memory leak) or not working 100%. Will probably get fixed as the beta program moves forward.

3. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

i remembered that scott forstall when he said that these additions will affect iPhone smooth experience :(

4. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Again it is a beta. My iOS 8 beta has tons of bugs and broken apps rtc but it will get worked out as the beta program goes until public launch.

5. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

i understand this and i know it's early to ask this question but look at android phones after long time use :confused:

i think my question is clear and with picture :mad:

6. robertpatryk macrumors member

Don't worry. This is a beta. If your iPhone needs some memory, it sure will get it. iOS memory management works like OS X - the more it takes the better it works. On the other hand it's a beta. It might be full of bugs.

7. Shuri macrumors 6502

Is the picture taken on iOS 8? Or is this a hypothetical question for now?

I'd like to ask you this: Are you experiencing any issues with this amount of RAM currently used?

8. Budiosx, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

i use iOS 7 and this pic from it ,yes a bit lag from the system so i asked my question "what about iOS 8 and iPhone 5s with memory mangement?"

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is no need for a user to monitor memory on iOS. The OS will take care of itself. There have been times when I was playing Infinity Blade II and my free ram was 32MB and I didn't notice any performance difference. This isn't Android. iOS manages memory very well.

10. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

While low memory can cause problems, it really shouldn't be blamed by default when performance is involved. Too many variables in order to armchair diagnose the cause.

While extensions will take up some memory, they are separate from the apps that provide them. So the app doesn't have to be running for the extension to be usable. That means what will actually happen is that on existing devices, you are trading off some memory that would keep a frozen background app in RAM in order to host widgets or other extensions instead.

11. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

your comment mean that iPhone 5s will die very soon and iPhone 6 with 1.5GB or 2GB ram will replace all old iPhones :(

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

How you even came to that conclusion from his comment is perplexing.

13. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I'm rather confused as well.

It looks like there's going to be a daemon-style process that is used to host a single extension when needed, and the OS will launch/kill copies of this process as needed. It doesn't look like Apple intends to let these processes stick around. So if you use an action extension from Safari, the extension's process will only live for as long as required to perform the action.

This kinda makes sense since the extension shouldn't need a lot of context initialized on bring-up (and no UI context, that is shared with the "host" app), so it should be possible to bring up a copy in milliseconds, rather than seconds. That means it is possible to keep these out of RAM most of the time.

14. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Considering how they handle multitasking and memory, I'd thing they use the same techniques for the things you mentioned. Safari tabs on the iPad though, that's another story.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

You'll know when iOS 8 is released. Until then it's a work in progress.

16. Budiosx thread starter macrumors regular

Budiosx

i saw a video of iOS 8 beta 2 and the system was running as expected from apple ,so i need to know how apple can handle iOS memory, where can i find useful information about that ?:eek:

17. chupachup macrumors 6502

It should say 100% used. 0% free.

Ram is no good empty. The OS should find as much as it can and load it in ram. It will manage to get things in and out as required.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Having some free would likely be a little faster than having it all full, as in actively full (just full where some of it is inactive, that's different and almost the same as having that space empty/free essentially).