iOS 8 and Yosemite- free hotspot?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ipadfreak, Jun 7, 2014.

1. ipadfreak macrumors regular

Hey guys,

This may be a stupid question, but was just watching the keynote and heard them talk about how easy it is for the computer to connect to the iPhone for a personal hotspot. Does this mean that we won't need different plans? I have the unlimited data on my iPhone and want the hotspot, but not willing to give up my unlimited for it :D

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i would assume the iphone needs hotspot capability to be already set up with the carrier to take advantage of this feature.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Nope. You need a hotspot through your carrier. Apple site says "*Check with your carrier for hotspot availability."

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why does making connecting to your phone's hotspot easier somehow imply that the hotspot would magically be there now without anything from the carrier or anything like that? Just saw another similar discussion in another thread about this and it all got me to wonder.

5. 617aircav Suspended

Why do People think it's free, and it it was free Apple would surely have mentioned it.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you just enable bluetooth on both devices no need to pair them and once this is done..... providing you have tethering as part of your tariff you will have a new connection to your phone which will just connect to iPhone

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Hasn't worked for me yet.
    I still had to manually enter the hotspot password into my iPad.
    :(

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

oh right well you shouldn't have to do that try making sure you have the tickbox in my image ticked aswell and hotspot does not need to be enabled in iPhone

my setup is as in screenshot via settings --> general and then on phone and mac enabled buetooth and hotspot on my phone was actually turned off.

Attached Files:

9. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

ignore my post.

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

System Preferences -> General on the Mac

11. AmirAli macrumors newbie

iOS 8 Instant Hotspot

I need help with the hotspot.. i have a windows computer and i want to connect my iPhone using the hotspot. i dont find the option of the hotspot on my iphone and ive tried connecting the 2 devices via bluetooth.. please help..

----------

i tried connecting them via bluetooth but doesnt work!!! :(

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Neither iOS8 nor Yosemite provide hotpsot functionality.
    All they do is simplify the linking of the iPhone with the device being shared to.
    If your iPhone doesn't already have a Personal Hotspot option in settings (this is enabled/disabled by your cellular provider) then there's nothing more you can do.

13. AmirAli macrumors newbie

Just a general question. I had the ability to use hotspot on iOS 7.1.1.. Why wudnt they allow for iOS 8??!

14. Freakstyles macrumors newbie

Not on ATT

on AT&T they will not allow you to have the Hotspot and unlimited data.

15. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

iOS 7 or 8 shouldn't make a difference.
    You either have it or you don't.
    If it's not in your Settings (5th option down -- right under Cellular) then try doing a Reset all Settings and see if it appears.

16. AmirAli macrumors newbie

Good idea. Let me try.. Should I reset the whole phone or just network settings??
    And any idea why Whatsapp is crashing?? Only able to access the chat after clearing messages which at the end is of no use.. :/

17. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Because Whatsapp has not been updated for iOS 8..these are betas after all.

18. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ok well I can't help there as I was helping someone with iOS 8 and Yosemite windows is a whole other OS..... maybe start a completely new thread and ask

19. AmirAli macrumors newbie

Ive tried restoring my settings but I don't seem to get the hotspot settings on my phone.. :/

20. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

How greedy does carriers get? :D

My carrier provides me unlimited 4G plan and also the ability to use my phone as a hotspot. :cool: