iOS 8 & Audiobooks

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Larsennet, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Larsennet macrumors member

Audiobooks worked beautifully in iOS 6. In iOS 7 they broke the ability to view chapter titles or select chapters. Has this been fixed in iOS 8?

If not does an app exist that allows this?

2. bartonjd macrumors member

re

No idea, but this really needs to be fixed...

3. isopepper macrumors newbie

isopepper

There are apps that allow this - audible app does it for things you download from audible. Others let you do it for M4B, but if you want to just get downloads form iTunes, no dice.

See my sig for a petition to bring this feature back.

4. MrTemple macrumors regular

Can anybody with iOS 8 beta 2 confirm whether or not audiobooks have brought back the chapter features lost in iOS 7?

It's a pain in the ass to have to scrub through an 8h or more audio file to find your place. Doubly bad when you know that there are descriptive 30m chapters in the file that are mysteriously hidden from the interface.

5. drcreek macrumors member

iPad

If I remember this issue was only present on iPad?

I really hope it is fixed. It was horrible.

Any beta users able to test it?

Pretty please?

6. MrTemple macrumors regular

It's the bane of my listening experience on the iPhone (5 & 5S).

I don't listen to music, only audiobooks. Usually fall asleep to them (the only cure for my lifelong insomnia). Which means that I am *constantly* scrubbing backwards to find my place. It takes way longer and is a complete pain in the ass on iOS 7 compared to iOS 6.

7. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Audiobooks on iOS 8 is a mess right now. No chapters and always loosing its place when receiving calls or texts.

8. Solver macrumors 6502a

Beta 2 seriously needs work. No chapter feature at all. Using a 99 cent app that works well but does not have chapter names.
    Funny thing is I thought I saw some chapter names in iOS 8 beta 1.

9. MrTemple macrumors regular

Any progress on this in the latest beta?

10. nheilweil macrumors 6502a

nheilweil

This obviously isn't an answer to the OP's question but rather just a note that the Audible app rocks -- chapters, easy scrubbing, bookmarks, sleep timer, etc.

Audible app is obviously for audiobooks purchased from Audible.com but it is feature rich.

11. bartonjd macrumors member

I listened to Harry Potter book 6 ios8 Beta 1 and didn't notice and ability to view chapters.

12. MrTemple macrumors regular

We've got reports that it hadn't been fixed in Beta 2.

Has anybody tried it in a more recent beta?

13. ecdc macrumors member

I am going to strongly recommend you download and purchase "Bookmobile." It is hands-down the best audiobook app out there.

After iOS 7 came out and slapped my audiobook experience upside the head, I tried a few different ones. When Bookmobile first came out, it wasn't great, but the developer issues regular updates. It's now largely bug-free and works exceptionally well. At first, I didn't love the UI but it's really grown on me.

Some highlights:

• Viewable/selectable chapters
    • Supports Audible downloads as well as m4b; I haven't tried an iTunes purchased audiobook
    • Tap the timestamp to swap between how much time is left in the chapter to how much is left in the book
    • 10 different speeds (you can speed up the audiobook slightly to listen to it faster without it sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks)
    • Dropbox support (and several other ways to add audiobooks)
    • Edit audiobooks within the app (titles, authors, etc)
    • Customizable skip-forward/back buttons (this is a real gem; also, tap to change from skipping back by seconds to skipping by minutes)

I don't know or work for the developer, I just know I seriously can't imagine listening to audiobooks with the native app ever again. I've attached two screenshots.

Attached Files:

14. Solver macrumors 6502a

No audiobook chapter names nor selection even in iOS 8 beta 5 :(

15. terryblyth macrumors regular

I find audiobooks indispensable now I've gotten into running; apart from comedy ones that interfere with my breathing when I laugh!

I'd never even considered audiobooks through iTunes, I've always gone through Audible and found it to be great.

16. torroa macrumors newbie

Been using iOS 8 GM for a couple of days now and I must say I am not impressed. If I switch between music and audiobook, or switch between bluetooth and wired headset, it does not resume the audiobook but rather start the book from the beginning again. And both select chapters and bookmarks is nonexistent.

17. Big Dave macrumors 6502

Audiobooks broken in ios 8

I couldn't get any audiobooks to play after installing ios 8. I made a workaround by changing audiobooks to a playlist.

18. GeneB, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

GeneB macrumors newbie

I got audiobooks to work wonderfully in IOS8. Here is how

• Ideally find audiobook with individual files for chapters (makes it easy to skip from chapter to chapter without bothering with bookmarks).
    • If you need to have bookmarks: convert to AAC (you will get .m4a files, rename them to .m4b and search for an application to add bookmarks to M4B files).
    • Port audiobook into iTunes (MP3, MP4, ... format mattres little it seems as long as it is consistent, if not consistent convert to AAC version)
    • It will most likely import as a music album (or even collection), highlight them all and click get info, confirm that you wish to edit all the items at the same time.
    • Make sure Title, author, composer are the same (if it says "Mixed" or grayed out, you can click on the field and edit it)
    • For the genre you can specify audiobook, but that does not seem to make any difference
    • For the track, leave first field as is (should be a dash) and the second field, specify the total number of tracks (will help sorting). Should look like "- of XX" where XX is the total number of tracks in your audiobook.
    • Go to artwork and upload a nice image of the audiobook (search google images for it).
    • Most important step!!!: Go to Options and set media kind to audiobook, and make sure that "remember playback position" and "Skip when shuffling" are both selected (you can also set equalizer to spoken word)
    • Note that Setting media kind to audiobook will remove some options from details tab, to be able to edit them again, just set media kind to music, make changes and set it back to audiobook.

That's it, you will be able to upload and use it with your IOS8 as it meant to be used. Good luck ;-)

19. entropi macrumors 6502

What Apple is really saying to us here is: "don't buy audiobooks from us". So let's not ever do that mistake again.

I had a few audiobooks bought from Apple with "internal", hidden chapters. I have since iOS 7 stripped them from drm and fixed my own chapters on them.

From here on I just buy audiobooks on CD which usually has lots of tracks which helps when navigating among chapters and parts of the book. I set the books to be treated as usual "music"-media for maximum flexibility.