iOS 8 B4 & B5 WiFi won't stay connected

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rrs0725, Aug 7, 2014.

1. rrs0725 macrumors newbie

No matter where I connect to Wifi on beta 4 & 5 using my iPhone 5s, it won't stay connected more than a couple minutes. A few seconds after I connect, I can watch it switch several times between wifi & cellular data multiple times in just a few minutes from the home screen before just staying on cellular data. Only way to reconnect to wifi is to manually do it, but then the same thing happens all over again.

Anyone else have any wifi issues?

2. laszlo182 macrumors regular

iPhone 5s, beta 5, I cannot access the Internet after I connect to a Wi-Fi network, I have to turn it on and off several times.

3. Xiph0s macrumors regular

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

This has happened to me since at least Beta 3 :(

Yes I frequently notice I am not connected to Wifi. I open Wifi settings and it says the name of my network but has the spinning icon and usually an invalid IP address of 169.x.x.x. Turning wifi off and back on usually works but I still have issues browsing the web. Also I noticed some downloads go EXTREMELY slow on iOS 8. I have this game I play that downloads extra data. on iOS 7, it can download all the data in under a minute. iOS 8 takes 5-10 minutes.

5. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I know that the iPad Air has had trouble connecting to 5ghz networks. The 2.4 network has been fine for it. My 5S seems to be good on both networks.

6. Porsupah macrumors member

Porsupah

It may indeed be related to 5GHz networks. I normally only use that side of my (late 2013) Time Capsule, and whilst connecting is fine, data flow will hang now and then, apparently related to distance from the TC. Once the iPad Air's in that state, only a restart will fix things properly.

Interestingly, if I take the iPad right next to the TC, everything's fine again, but useless as soon as it's taken back to the usual locations in the house. It's as if the 5GHz receiver's sensitivity suddenly falls right off.

If I switch to the 2.4GHz side, all is well.

(WiFi & console logs are now with Apple. Hopefully those can assist in squashing this pesky bug)

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

5GHz doesn't penetrate as well (walls, etc.) so unfortunately that may be normal.

8. Porsupah macrumors member

Porsupah

I fear you misunderstand: all works well for some random period of time, but when the phenomenon strikes, the iPad effectively goes deaf - where normally it'll be fine, no data will flow. At that point, only placing the iPad basically on top of the base station lets it work again while on 5GHz. Restart the iPad, and it'll work as would be expected, anywhere in the house.

9. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

Right, so exactly what he said.

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I'm asking the obvious here, but have you tried Resetting your network settings? Or doing a fresh install?

11. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

Just plug in ethernet!

For iPhone 5 or later, get the 'Lighting to Gigabit Ethernet adapter'

12. daio macrumors regular

daio

I have this problem too, regarding the WiFi dropping, on my 5s with iOS8 beta 5. That said, I only have the problem with third party apps and NOT with the stock Apple apps. Meaning the effect is only observed when I have third party apps open and not when I have Mail, Safari or AppStore, for example.