iOS 8 Battery Percentage Jumping

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by matthew2926, Jul 21, 2014.

1. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this with the iOS 8 betas so far. For me, I will be using. My iPhone and all of a sudden, the battery percent will drop about 15% in one jump. The thing is, this doesn't mean that my battery is down 15% because then the percentage will hang at whatever percent it jumped to for a long time until it finally starts to measure correctly again. Just wondering if anyone else is dealing with this.

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

My iPod Touch 5 initially gave some very strange jumpy battery results. After about a week it smoothed out and surprisingly each charge lasted much longer.

3. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know! I just restored to beta 3 this morning and then OTAed to beta 4 so I think I just need to give it some time to break in after all of the changes.

4. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

run it down till it dies then fully charge it till 100% by wall charger without interruption (using it while charging is fine), if the same thing happens might as well go to apple..also an easy way to test is have battery at like 35% or so, & cool it down to 2c~10c(thats above freezing), a fridge does fine, & if after 30 mins or so, its suddenly dead or lost most of its charge, the battery is failing. my iphone 5 did this last year, along with 70% of all other iphone 5's out there..

5. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

My iPhone is out of warranty so even if it does fail, I'm not paying for a repair. Plus, it seems to only do this on the iOS 8 betas so I think it is a software issue rather than a hardware issue...anyways, my battery is currently at 15% so I will probably just let it run down and then charge up and see if that helps. In addition, it has not been charged at all since the last restore so I think that could be the problem. I think it just needs some time on a charger to get its act together.

6. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

iphone 5's did that starting with ios 7, like thousands of them, maybe even millions. the apple store here was flooded with line ups of people complaining of the same thing on the same device, batch of defective batteries alright..you can only tell if its a bug if going back to 7.1.2 clearly fixes it by shutting down at 1 or 2%. i insisted for a long time it was ios 7's fault but a replaced battery did fix it, & 8 months later, its still normal, dying at 1%.

one time in the winter i fully charged the battery 100% before i left, by the time i got to my bus stop 15 mins later, with the phone in my sleeve + hand around it so its moderately slightly warm, it shut down & gave me low battery icon, took about 20 tries then it booted, & said 100%...was beyond pissed. i still have the lowbatterylog from that as well, the apple genius was speechless when i showed him it & 10 mins later said it failed 100% of diags

look at those awake/standby times
    partial charge shows i did a full charge
    the capacity it "died" at

Attached Files:

7. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

My battery has never died at anything other than 1 or 2% so I don't think it is defective. Anyhow, I think it just needed to be charged for the first time but today will tell. It I need to replace my battery, I am more than capable of doing it myself. I have been fixing iPhones for a few years now so I'm not gonna be paying Apple whatever insane amount they charge for an out of warranty battery replacement.

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

But where do you get aftermarket batteries that are not a lie?

9. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally, my strategy in the past has been to buy 2 or 3 batteries off of eBay from a credible seller with a good return policy. From there, I simply test out the batteries for a few days and see if they are good or not. Then, if any of the batteries have terrible life or other issues, I return them. If the 2 or 3 batteries that I bought happen to all be good, I simply keep them and save them for future use. I fix a lot of iPhones as a hobby so the batteries I buy don't tend to sit on the shelf very long. Also, I'm not sure if I understood you correctly but I have always bought aftermarket parts (ie. non-Apple) and have never had any major problems. Occasionally an aftermarket part is defective so just make sure to buy from people/places with good return policies. But yeah, eBay is the place to buy IMO.

10. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I used to buy all my batteries from Amazon and they were all terrible. Now when my iP5 battery was dying I just let Apple confiscate my wallet, but at least it's a good battery now. If I was SURE I could have purchased a battery as good as original I would have done it myself but I had no way of determining that without doing what you describe, ie, buy return, buy return, buy return ad nauseum - and even then maybe still not get a good battery. It just wasn't worth the savings to me.

11. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, how much did your iPhone 5 battery replacement cost through Apple?

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I think it was $85 after shipping and tax.

13. matthew2926 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, through eBay, 3 batteries shipped are around $20-$25. Plus, I enjoy doing it myself. $85 is just too much for a battery replacement considering that most Samsung devices can have their batteries replaced by the average user. I like Apple devices and all but $85 is hella expensive for only a battery.