iOS 8 beta 1 impressions

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by CutterSlade, Jun 2, 2014.

1. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

Let's share our first impressions about the beta here. I've recently installed it to my iPad and unfortunately had a bad experience, mostly because the problems with the new Safari. Didn't notice anything else wrong with it yet except that all the bugs I had previously in 7.1 still exist.

As for the Safari, it's pretty much unusable in its current state because of the following things I noticed just in 5 minutes of usage. I really don't know how they managed to destroy a perfectly functioning browser without really adding anything to it.

-It's extremely choppy when browsing compared to the older one.

-It can't hold even 3 web pages in memory. Whenever I switch tabs, it reloads as if it is consuming 10x times more RAM right now. Even when it doesn't reload, it shows a blank gray page before re-displaying the actual page.

-The tab bar gets hidden when you scroll down as in Google Chrome or the iPhone version of Safari. So if you need to change the tab, then you either have to scroll back to the top or tap the address bar once to make the tabs visible again, both of which are more cumbersome than simply tapping the already visible tabs on the screen. This change really doesn't make any sense in an iPad and should have been optional at worst

-It shows the frequently visited pages right below the favorites section, which again should have been optional as in the desktop version because it takes time for them to be loaded and displayed every time you open the app.

-Sometimes 4 and 5 finger gestures stop working when in Safari. For example the 5 finger pinch zooms out the web page rather than closing Safari and 4 page swipe does nothing.

-Right after it is opened, you see the icons on the homescreen behind the white background of Safari for a short time

The only good thing they did in Safari is that they now display the search results and favorites in a popup when typing something into the address bar, allowing you to see the web page behind it.

2. shaown macrumors regular

it probably is using 10x more memory. Debugging, logs, memory leaks, etc. Not surprising for Beta 1

3. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

it is running buttery smooth in my 5s ... as good as 7.1.1 :)

lets hope it stays this way