iOS 8 Beta 2 - Black screen, won't charge

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by taldo, Jun 20, 2014.

1. taldo macrumors member

Hey,

I have iOS 8 beta 2 installed, and i have encountered a few black screens on iPhone 5 as i believe many here have encountered also.

The bug is that my iPhone would go black screen and unresponsive to home button presses. The only thing that would revive it is calling to it from another phone, and then he would suddenly show the call (by the way, Siri also works but not vey effective at awakening the iPhone.

Today my phone did the same black screen trick, but the frightening thing is that for some reason it is not responsive at all! Even Siri is not working or calling the phone doesn't wake him up (there is a calling sound in the other phone, but my phone doesn't seem to know the call is happening..) ! The worst thing is that all of a sudden it won't charge or at least respond to charging, also my mac won't identify it at all and i don't know how to wake him up!

Another misfortune is that i have an iPhone 5 and my lock button is broken, so hard reset is not an option through pressing the button.

Another last and the weirdest thing in this incident is that i tried to create a hotspot on my phone through my mac (Yosemite feature of course...) and I'm now writing these lines from this connection!

Did someone encounter anything similar..? I guess the established connection says that my phone is working, but how can i make the screen wake up from being black...????

Every idea and help you will give is more than welcome, i feel kinda hopeless with no lock button and the inability to hard reset - Stupid iPhone 5 malfunction!

Thanks!
    Tal.

UPDATE:
    Until finishing writing the post, the internet connection died and i can't seem to get it to work again, but it did work for sure! i took all other connections offline and was able to begin writing this post...

2. rritterson macrumors 6502

This happens on my iPhone 5. The solution is to press the lock button, and then the home button will work to wake the screen again.

Since your lock button is broken, that won't work for you, but are you aware that Apple is repairing some iPhone 5 lock buttons for free?https://ssl.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/

3. taldo thread starter macrumors member

Yep, i do know that i can fix it for free, but, it's a bit of a problem if you're from a country that doesn't have an official Apple store.

Luckily, Apple has made some kind of an agreement with cellular operators in my country, so hopefully they will provide the service.

About the phone,
    After giving him a rest for the night, plugging it into the wall has revived him. I guess his battery has drained because i saw the battery empty logo while plugging it in.

I think that this unresponsive black screen bug is pretty horrible. Combining that and my malfunctioning lock button, my phone was paralysed! How come there's no hard reset option from iTunes or something...??
    That's so annoying!

4. AmirAli macrumors newbie

Hard resetting worked for me . Im also using a 5 on ios 8 beta 2
    Try gettig it fixed shud work. :)!

5. taldo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i should get it fixed as soon i can. I guess that while beta testing, hard reset is one of the most valuable and essential actions u could make...

6. taldo thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so, i thought this bug is behind me, but it happened again! Once again my phone is dead without any prior alerts or battery drain.

Phone dead twice in less then 24 hours..?

This beta 2 is starting to become unusable for me which is quite unpleasing as i started to enjoy handoff and continuity in several occasions...

7. carigis macrumors newbie

I had the same problem tonight. power button had no effect, and home button didnt either. nothing appeared to charge it or turn the screen on.. held down both buttons and nothing happened. plugged into pc then nothing happened. then opened itunes and it booted normal for some reason and was like 25 percent charged. so try plugging into the pc and opening itunes. not sure if that had anything to do with it but hope that helps

8. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

Repeatedly pressing the power button usually works after a bit.

Also, cycling silent mode sometimes works.

9. b3rge macrumors newbie

iPhone will not charge iOS 8 beta 2

I have encountered all the same issues as above, considering my power button is broken, I had to open the phone and dis/reconnect the battery.

But now, my phone is still on, but it is not responding when plug the charging cable in, neither to iTunes.

Does anyone have a fix? Should I try to turn the phone off?

-Johannes

10. ish3lan macrumors newbie

the same problem with me

iPhone 5 // with broken power button

iOS 8 beta 3

the screen goes black , no vibration ,no sound however when I call my number I hear the tone from the other phone

any suggestions are highly appreciated

thanks

shalan