iOS 8 beta 3 iCloud Drive

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by hehe299792458, Jul 7, 2014.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I enabled it in the new beta version. But it doesn't seem to do anything. What is it supposed to do?

2. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I don't think it works yet, either way you will need Yosemite to actually get any usage out of it i think.

The intro pretty much said what it does mate lol but now that you mention you have it on for me it will stay "off"/disabled even though i selected the 'upgrade to iCloud drive' on the startup screen.

3. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I do have Yosemite, but I can't still cant see the documents I placed into the iCloud folder on Yosemite.

4. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Hmm let's assume it's just not working atm but maybe others will comment.

5. ezio007 macrumors member

6. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The question is, if I update to iCloud drive, will apps be able to still see their own data, stored on iCloud? I am talking about 1Password, DayOne, etc..
    I think all these apps will need to get updated to support the new storage location, so for the moment I believe it's safer to use the legacy iCloud storage.

7. daveday macrumors newbie

I upgraded to iCloud Drive after installing iOS 8 beta 3. Upon returning to iOS 7 and Mavericks on the Mac I found the old 'Documents in iCloud' no longer syncs across any devices.

Be very careful when upgrading to iCloud Drive, it will cause the original iCloud to stop working. E.g Pages, Numbers, Day One, Byword, 1Password, Keyboard Shortcuts will all stop syncing.

I've now had to switch syncing methods to Dropbox for as many apps as possible.
    Still unsure how to fit Pages, Numbers and Keyboard Shortcuts.

Dave

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

That's the reason I was waiting to install the beta versions of iOS and Yosemite. Now, with the third beta we have the option to use the old iCloud storage and when I saw that I upgraded all my devices.

9. ndsmpa macrumors newbie

10. yesno macrumors newbie

Yeah, iCloud Drive is a separate, new thing that does not (at the moment at least) share any data with "iCloud Documents" or whatever you might want to call it.

You're not going to see anything different on iOS 8 at the moment--apps that save to iCloud drive will still only see their own little silo on iCloud drive, until they implement the new document picker (which allows them to see documents outside their silo).

11. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

Are you saying that if I enable iCloud Drive on my iPhone, all my other devices (iPad, MB, etc) will be affected and unable to upload to the original iCloud as well?

12. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It looks like that for the moment, so I would be very careful

13. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

Also the web apps will stop working. They will say that you upgraded to iCloud drive.

I upgraded OS X and have the beta versions of iWork for iOS (Released last month) on iOS 8 and now all my iWork documents won't sync....

Keynote shows nothing, Pages has 3 items in it while there are 8 on iCloud and numbers won't update my documents too.

14. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Didn't check here regarding this issue before upgrading :(

I only upgraded my dev device but I used my normal Apple account, and now services are broken across all devices. iOS apps won't sync (like Newisfy won't sync my subscriptions between iPhone and iPad), iWork sync is broken too.

Looks like there's no way to downgrade iCloud Drive right now.

But on the plus side - now I have a reason to be adventurous and just stick with the beta :)

15. Brammy macrumors 65816

Same here.

16. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I updated my iPhone to iOS 8 and enabled 'iCloud Drive', noticed my syncing apps with documents in the cloud stopped syncing across devices. I then downgraded my iPhone back to iOS7 but it still seems my iCloud is enabled as a 'Drive' account. This means apps like Pages, Day One, Clear etc won't sync.

Has anyone found a solution to re-enable Documents in the cloud or some other fix?

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

There is no way to do that. I have enabled iCloud drive and just had to upload my documents back again, but now all of my devices are in sync, using the new iCloud storage.
    iCloud drive syncs very slow at the moment, but this is expected in this beta phase.

18. nivekr11 macrumors regular

Does iCloud drive take up local storage in Yosemite?

19. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

iCloud sync is close to working for me too.

It downloaded some out of date documents and when I delete them in Yosemite they auto download again. I've put updated versions in there but it seems random on which get updated or not.

I deleted a old numbers doc and replaced it with a new version and it is refusing to download on my iPhone.