iOS 8 beta 4 battery life

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by doublex14, Jul 25, 2014.

1. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

I recently downloaded beta 4 OTA instead of via iTunes because I was away and didn't have my laptop, now on beta 3 my battery life was actually pretty good and then after I OTA'd beta 4, my battery life has become so bad I'm not sure what to do. My phone, (Verizon 5S) goes down 1-2% every 3-4 minutes when I'm using it. Today I decided to wipe my device and restore it back to beta 4 to see if downloading it OTA somehow corrupted it; I see a minor improvement but it's still isn't very good.

Should I let the phone die and then, using a wall charger, charge it to 100%? Or should I give it more time and see what happens. Last resort I downgrade to beta 3 as I do not think my actual phone is the problem, or could it be?

2. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

ios 8 has a per app battery usage report..look at it & see whats draining it

3. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

But the battery drainage wasn't as nearly as bad as beta 3. I think there's something in beta 4 that kills battery unless it's my actual phone that is messed up

4. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Is your Wi-Fi connected? In beta 3 I had an issue that my battery would drain quickly when connected to Wi-Fi.

5. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

Yes I am connected to wifi, and it drains even more when I am on LTE or 3G... I'm confused as to what to do

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Go back to iOS 7. Beta releases aren't meant to be consumer ready releases. Battery draining, phone getting hot, and a myriad of other problems are regular problems with betas.

7. dcp10 macrumors 6502

^This

8. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

I would lose all my stuff like photos, contacts, etc that I got after I updated to iOS 8.. Unless there is another way

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Someone might know a way around that, but i am not aware of one.

10. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

I'm going to try to downgrade to beta 3. Thank you for the help

11. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Restoring firmware is generally useless if you then restore it from a backup of some kind. You're fixing the problem and then putting the problem right back on, in most cases.

Try plugging in to your computer and importing pictures to the computer.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083

Contacts, etc. should all remain the same even if you go back to beta 3. I wouldn't suggest going back to beta 3 however. There aren't widespread reports of battery issues with beta 4 so you might just restore the beta 4 firmware back on to it and then NOT restore from a backup. Manually transfer your photos back on to it, contacts etc. come back from icloud.

Lastly get your purchases back from the cloud. Keep in mind audiobooks and ringtones cannot be re-downloaded so transfer those to your computer first.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

I'd be willing to bet, though, that it's some app on your device whose background energy usage may not be fully reflected in the usage stats. Or the app and firmware had a clash because it is a beta.

12. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

I just installed beta 3, haha but this seems like a good plan. Would I restore from iCloud after I set it up as a new device? How would I get everything on to my phone

13. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

Alright here is what is going on: (From the beginning to now) I installed beta 4 OTA and after I got it my battery life was horrible, so I restored to beta 4 and installed my backup. No change. I then downgraded to beta 3 thinking that that would solve it but as one user said I am just reinstalling the problem, so I am currently restoring my phone and not restoring from a backup. In the midst of restoring I got an error and now my phone is in recovery mode. I am extracting the software and trying to restore to beta 4 but it is taking a long time, I will try to restore to beta 4 and get my contacts from iCloud and my photos from iPhoto on my Mac at which before I this happened I sync'd my photos to my computer

14. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Very good. When the phone asks if you want to restore from an iCloud backup, tell it "set up as new". Then when it asks if you want to use icloud tell it yes

15. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

I keep getting Error 3094 or 3194 and I cannot restore to beta 4 so I am going to restore to 7.1.2 and then update to beta 4... could that work? I'm about to have a mental breakdown I cannot go to bed without fixing this

16. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Are you sure you're in the developer program? If you definitely are then follow this article. Otherwise, best to go back to 7.1.2 cause you won't be able to use the beta.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4451

17. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

Yes I am in the developer program and a registered (99$ per year) member. I successfully installed 7.1.2 and now I opt-shift updated to iOS 8 beta 4 and now will hit restore from backup (my iCloud iOS 8 backup). Does this sound good?

----------

Alright, now I am on beta 4 with a clean version of everything. I'm restoring from an iCloud backup and should be able to get my photos from my computer, and my contacts are in iCloud. I'll keep you updated but thank you so much for the help.

18. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I said not to restore from an icloud backup. It is just as bad as restoring from an iTunes backup. You want to set it up as a new phone, and then transfer everything back on to it. It would still let you sign in to icloud and sync over your contacts without restoring from an iTunes/icloud backup.

Don't ask me why this is so needlessly complicated. It shouldn't be this difficult to simply restore your phone's firmware without losing your content such as contacts, but it is. Apple should really improve this system.

19. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

Alright so I'm back on beta 4 with an iCloud backup but now I'm going to restore to beta 4 and set up as new iPhone and get my contacts from iCloud. There is an option called "iCloud Photo Library" which I turned on and it says "automatically upload and store your entire library in icloud" so it seems I will get my contacts and all my photos, is that correct?

20. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

I think I am just gonna go back to iOS 7, it's much more stable even though I really like iOS 8. Would that be the better choice?

21. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Not to sound insulting, but for you, iOS 7.

----------

This overwrites the last update made by the device, doesn't it? So, when I backup my iPhone 5 running iOS 8, it overwrites my last backup which was made with iOS 7, right? I currently have a method that involves navigating to the folder where iTunes saves backups and manually organizing the backups so that you can always be sure that you have a backup for whatever iOS version that you want to restore to. I'm gonna try to make a YouTube video about this tomorrow and then post the link on here.

22. chiefbozz macrumors newbie

I don't find this feature as useful as I thought I would. It only gives percentages so unless something is draining the battery in the background I would expect my most used apps to be at the highest percentage. This is the case on my phone, so it's not really telling me anything other than I use my most used apps more than my other apps...and that I can use hotels.com to book my next hotel stay.

23. doublex14 thread starter macrumors regular

doublex14

I did a fresh restore and added my contacts from iCloud and photos from iPhoto on my computer, so basically I have a fresh new phone, and that video will be very helpful

24. solly macrumors member

Just for everyone info, i had great battery life with beta 1 and 2 and since beta 3 and 4 my battery life sucked, we are talking 5 to 6 and i need to recharge my phone. all betas were restored and restored backup from icloud.

i tried with beta 4 to restore and set as new phone. get my pic and contacts back from cloud and computer, was little pain in the back to set up all my Apps and setting. but the reward now i am having my running since 17h and still 45% available in my battery.

25. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Sorry but the video will be delayed a few days. Just got home from an 11 day trip to a power outage. No power=no video :(