iOS 8 Beta 4 - Bricked after 20 days of use

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by copulate, Aug 14, 2014.

1. copulate macrumors member

I am traveling internationally for a family emergency and installed Beta 4 for its WiFi Calling feature.

I've been using it the last ~20 days or so, and out of nowhere today, it won't turn on. I tried pressing home + power for 10 seconds with no avail.

I doubt Apple would even cover it, even if I was in the US, since I don't have a developer account.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

3. copulate thread starter macrumors member

Nothing. Same with connecting to laptop via USB.

I didn't install any apps or update any apps (auto update disabled). Only used the camera / SMS / iMessage.

Phone's not vibrating when I switch the Silent button on/off either so the phone's off even though it had 80%+ when it went offline....sigh :confused:

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Try holding home and power even longer - 30+ seconds. I would take it to apple if its under warranty.. If it won't power on, they can't see what iOS version its running! :)

5. copulate thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. Didn't work. Going to leave it on the charger overnight (in Asia) and hopefully it turns on magically.

Beta 4 had a delayed response time on my touch screen right after a restart. It took 30 seconds to register my passcode after I press it....so maybe and hopefully it's having a similar delay for it to turn on lol

Hopefully you're right that Apple can't see what iOS I'm using. This was a 2-month old Apple refurbished phone after my 3-month old 5S was having battery issues. Perhaps the phone was not refurbished properly.

Thanks again for your help.

6. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

7. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Try putting it in DFU mode and restoring to 7.1.2

8. copulate thread starter macrumors member

I suspect its because its a refurbished phone from apple instead of beta 4....beta 4 worked fine and that's why I didn't wanna risk bricking with 5...lol

so much for that. thx again, ill look up what DFU is and figure it out

9. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

If it won't even power on how can the OP put in DFU mode??

10. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

My guess is that it isn't booting rather than not turning on. Either way, attempting to put it in DFU mode won't harm anything. Achieving DFU mode will show if there is any life in the phone whatsoever.

11. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

it says in the first post he held down home + power for over 10 seconds. If the phone doesn't respond to that, how can he put it in DFU mode since that is the first step?

12. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

I know it's a bit of a stretch but perhaps his display has shorted out or something. DFU mode will show exactly how bad the problem is based on if it is able to be achieved or not.

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Very true, that is a possibility.