iOS 8 Beta 4 - Can't Delete Photos

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by akishore, Jul 21, 2014.

1. akishore macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have a weird problem in iOS 8 beta 4. I can't seem to get rid of my photos off my phone. I have iCloud Photo drive enabled and I can't delete the photos from the Usage - Photos section in Settings.

I also tried to use Image Capture on my Mac running OS X Yosemite Preview 4, but the delete button is disabled. So now I can't update my iPhone to beta 4 because I don't have enough space (Photos taking up 10 GB and Other taking up another 10 GB).

I've had the Other problem many times before and the only solution I've found is restoring the phone or using some program to go through and delete files in crazy locations, but I don't feel like doing all that crap right now.

Any idea how I can delete these photos?

Thanks

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

iCloud Photo Library && iCloud Drive are different. You might have to transfer the photos then delete them manually and restore the device.

3. akishore thread starter macrumors newbie

Manually delete 10GB worth of pictures and videos!?!? You gotta be kidding me. There has got to be a better way. Looks like the Delete After Import option doesn't work with the beta! I tried that, but nothing happens.

I also tried turning off iCloud Photo Drive and that didn't change anything either. Still wasn't able to delete.

And yes, I am clear about iCloud Photo Drive and iCloud Drive being different, I was only asking about iCloud Photo Drive.

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

There are definitely some issues with icloud photo library right now. It's supposed to only download a thumbnail of the images stores in the cloud, but with beta 3 it appears to try to download all of the full res images. In my wife's case (and likely yours as well) she had more photos than her ipad could hold, so it took up all of the space on her ipad, then stopped syncing. What you can do is turn off icloud photo library on your device, then go into the photos app (for some reason it didn't seem to do anything until I went into the app). Then it will remove any photos that were not originally taken on that device. This should give you enough space to update to beta 4. When you re-enable IPL it will not duplicate any photos... It will be able to tell which ones have already been uploaded to the cloud.

I haven't been able to verify if this problem still exists in beta 4 or not, but it was definitely new with beta 3.

5. afsnyder macrumors 65816

iCloud photo drive doesn't exist. That's my point. It's iCloud photo library.

Does the delete button not exist?

6. akishore thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh gotcha, sorry about that. The delete button exists, but it's greyed out.

But now it's gotten really weird. I just manually deleted a bunch of videos thinking that would fix the issue, but nothing changes. Instead the amount of space used by Photos is stuck at the same value.

I turned off iCloud Photo Library and that doesn't seem to matter either. I restarted the phone and reset it and it won't adjust the value even though I deleted a bunch of videos.

That is definitely some strange bug. Any other ideas?

7. magikmiles macrumors newbie

Same here!

I just got the update on my phone and now I can't delete photos and videos at all! As a matter of fact it actually doubled up on the space I had, and gave it to photos, mind you according to phone, I have no photos or videos on the damned thing. I loaded up iPhoto and deleted the photos from there...NOPE! iPhoto says it deleted the photos (but not the videos) after an import, NOPE! Tried to delete the photos with Image Capture, and now I can't. With Beta 3 I could at least delete them....not anymore. :-(((

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

That is odd. If you don't care about the photos, or have them backed up elsewhere, the only other thing I could suggest would be to do a backup of your device with photos turned off, then wipe it and restore the backup. It's kind of drastic, but should resolve the problem.

9. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Download the iOS 8 beta 4 IPSW on your computer and update that way. You will not need to clear any space.

10. CupawnTae macrumors newbie

I hit this today too, trying to update to beta 5, not enough storage on the device, and deleting videos didn't free up the expected space.

Then I discovered Photos App->Albums->Recently Deleted. Deleted photos/videos now stay there for 30 days or until you manually clear them.

Open the Recently Deleted album, hit Select on the top right and there's a Delete All option at the bottom.