iPhone iOS 8 beta running hot

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by palemonkey, Jul 27, 2014.

1. palemonkey macrumors member

Hi
    Thought I'd ask before doing a fresh install. Has anyone else's phone (5s) been running hot using iOS 8 beta? Noticed it since the first beta, phone gets very very hot at times.

2. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I didn't have any problem with the previous betas doing this until the 4th one. My iPhone 5S became very hot to the point where the screen would dim. I wasn't doing anything processor intensive either. Just simple iMessage or email. The device got really warm. I rolled back to 7.1.2 just because I didn't like that it was getting so hot the screen would dim. Felt like I was doing damage to it or something.

Other than that, the beta was very stable for me

3. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Beta 4 is making my phone really hot with no reason, brightness not even at 50% and even on wifi just browsing the web.

4. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

no(iphone 5) but if youre using data & not wifi thats normal on any phone

5. palemonkey thread starter macrumors member

I have reverted back to 7.1.2 for now and phone isn't getting so hot.

6. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Current beta, yes it gets hot and battery lasts way less than before, previous beta's did it occasionally but it was usually fixed with a reboot, but not now on my iPhone 5

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That is a possibility.

8. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Mine was working just fine until last night. After a random restart, the CPU is now staying around 66% usage, even after closing all apps. I checked the battery usage and "Home & Lock Screen" is currently at 18% battery usage. I've restarted a few times, and it's still running warm and draining the battery. Not sure what happened or what to try next.

9. ZAPELECTRIFIED macrumors member

My iPhone 5 running iOS 8 beta 4 only seems to get super hot for me after a long period of usage and when my iPhone is searching for Cellular Service in a low signal area.

10. chloebelle'smom macrumors newbie

I just rolled back due to after a week on iOS 8 beta 4, the phone got extremely hot and then my wifi would not stay connected even after repeatedly doing network settings resets. After going back to iOS 7.1.2 phone is no longer hot and wifi is working fine.

11. atlatnesiti, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Beta 1 ok, beta 2 hot, beta 3 ok, beta 4 hot... Wtf..?!
    Just hope that tomorrow's beta 5 will fix this issue once and for all.
    Btw; iPhone 5s here...
    Doesn't happen on iPad air, but plenty of other issues instead...

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Betas don't necessarily get better with each release. Different things can be broken that weren't broken before. And running any third-party app is another variable.

13. doublex14 macrumors regular

doublex14

Up until beta 4 my battery life was almost as good as 7.1.2 and then my phone (5S) started to get very hot when I wasn't even using it and the battery went down 2-3% every 2 minutes. I decided to downgrade to iOS 7 and hopefully beta 5 is released today so if it's stable enough I will go back to it.