iOS 8 beta to GM or wait for final release?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wws, Jul 28, 2014.

1. wws macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have iOS 8 beta 4 installed on my iPad Air. When the GM comes out in September, should I iTunes-update to the GM or wait for the final release? I know you can't go to either OTA from the beta. Are there any differences between the GM and Final and if I update to the GM, will I have any problems OTA updating to 8.0.1 when it comes out? If I have the GM installed, will iTunes detect that there is the final release available or do I have to manually download the ipsw. Trying to avoid downloading the entire OS several times as much as possible.

Thanks,

wws

2. eric1803 macrumors newbie

GM == Final Release.
    There is no difference.

It just happened once, that there was a second GM, because apple ****ed up the first one ;)

3. ZAPELECTRIFIED macrumors member

Yeah, You may want to update to the GM (Final Release to the Public) through iTunes to get out of the last beta. Soooo yeah in the end you'll have to download or "Update" to iOS 8.0 through iTunes when it is released to the public. Sadly it is a longer process. If only it could be done OTA.

Best of luck wws.

4. wws thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I think I am going to wait for the public release and update from whatever the latest beta is at that time. It shouldn't expire before then right?

5. ZAPELECTRIFIED macrumors member

It won't expire for about month or so after the last beta is released. I would advise to update ASAP to the public iOS 8 release just so your iPhone or iPad doesn't lock up. Hope that helps.

6. wws thread starter macrumors member

Ok so when iOS 8 comes out for everyone in mid September, I open iTunes, connect my iPad and click "Update" to update from whatever the last beta is right? iTunes will detect there is a new build?

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This is false. You will be able to update from the last beta to the GM, which is the same as what is released to the public, just comes out sooner. You can do this OTA. It was not possible with the iOS 6 GM, but was with the iOS 7 GM, so presumabley it will be possible again with iOS 8.

8. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I am pretty sure you could not update from iOS 7 beta to GM OTA. You had to download the IPSW file and use iTunes. There was a lot of issues with this at the time because the GM was expecting a newer version of iTunes which had not been released yet. But the phone still functioned fine.. you just couldn't see it with iTunes until iTunes was updated the same day as the public release of iOS 7.

OP - When the GM comes out, you will be able to download it and install it via iTunes. You can force an update from iTunes but it is recommended you do a clean install.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Nope, you could update directly. Same with Mavericks GM to public release. It was different from how it had worked before, you could update OTA, you did not have to plug in to iTunes and download the IPSW.

10. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Sorry but you are incorrect. You cannot upgrade from a beta to GM OTA.

See the thread here of when iOS 7 GM was released.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1633528

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You are correct - my mistake. Don't know why I could swear they made it possible last year. I remember it vividly - guess I need my memory checked :eek:

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

If you are thinking about OS X, you can update from those betas to the GM :) Just not on iOS.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That I remember, but I could've sworn it happened on iOS as well with iOS 7..going crazy, I think..

14. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

spend enough time on here and that's bound to happen :)