Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Started IOS 8 Update on 5s 32G. Crashed, will not restore, iTunes will not recognize. Restarted Computer, rebooted iPhone. No luck. Error message when I start up iTunes "Cannot contact iPhone Update Server...." More information leads to

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I now have to completely stop all work to follow these procedures.

Mac OSX OS X 10.9.5 (13F25)
iTunes 11.4

:(

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
My iPhone 5 has been stuck on the Apple logo with full progress bar for 1 hour 30 mins. What happened to you?

Skevaboy

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2011
Toronto
Started IOS 8 Update on 5s 32G. Crashed, will not restore, iTunes will not recognize. Restarted Computer, rebooted iPhone. No luck. Error message when I start up iTunes "Cannot contact iPhone Update Server...." More information leads to

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

I now have to completely stop all work to follow these procedures.

Mac OSX OS X 10.9.5 (13F25)
iTunes 11.4

:(

i imagine the apples servers are overloaded at this time, i failed to download IOS 8 5 times now, try restore later tonight when less traffic to the apple servers

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
recovery mode will work, it just may seem like its not right now cause as always with the next ios release the update blob server is saturated..but no the phone isnt bricked forever needing it to be taken to an apple store, just wait

zjazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
Same here. When hitting CHECK FOR UPDATE in iTunes, I'm getting -"The iPhone software update service could not be contacted"-make sure your network settings are correct and your network is active....
My settings are correct and network is active but nothing works....

EDIT: when I go to software update on the phone it shows there is a new version but there is no button to download or update...

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Successful Update - Life is Good Again

Went through all the procedures, no luck
Booted in Safe Mode, no luck
Called AppleCare, rebooted while on hold (4th reboot)
Took about 15 min to install IOS 8 including firmware updates, etc. Spent most of that chatting with Kathrein of Apple Care.

Happy again :D

jgrzywna

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
Went through all the procedures, no luck
Booted in Safe Mode, no luck
Called AppleCare, rebooted while on hold (4th reboot)
Took about 15 min to install IOS 8 including firmware updates, etc. Spent most of that chatting with Kathrein of Apple Care.

Happy again :D

What exactly did you do to reboot while on the phone with Applecare? Just hold the top button to turn off, and press it again to turn back on?

I started the iOS8 iPhone 5S update from over-the-air, walked away, and came back to a device that was powered off. I waited 30 mins just to be safe, and then powered on. Got the white Apple logo, then the Connect to iTunes screen. Connecting via USB to iTunes on my rMBP yields a error about Cannot Connect to iPhone Update Server.

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
To get into DFU mode, be connected to iTunes, hold down home and on/off , when the screen goes off release on/off. Continue holding home button and iTunes will respond and recognize device is in recovery mode.

I did this twice today.

Djdcyphr

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2011
Force a reboot by holding home and the lock button for a few seconds or so. Happened to me too, and a number of others.

I have forced many reboot s and nothing has changed. Still stuck on the apple logo.

----------

To make matters worse, iTunes will not recognize the device when plugged in.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
My mom's iPhone 5S display started flickering after DFU restore to iOS8

Did a normal restore, flickering went away. Again did a DFU restore, flickering returned. It's tiny flickering but enough to be noticed.

Same with 7.1.2 restores. But when phone is restarted, it does not flicker during initial boot up logo white screen. Once I see the lock screen, flickering is noticed. It's more pronounced when brightness is full and any dialog like password prompt appears on screen making rest of the space dim.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Rebooting

Connecting via USB to iTunes on my rMBP yields a error about Cannot Connect to iPhone Update Server.

I did normal reboots from the Apple Menu. I did follow the suggestions in the Apple Support Page and disconnected all drives. The one thing I did different that I have no idea whether it helped. On the third reboot, I held down the SHIFT key to do a SAFE BOOT, this disables all sorts of things. That did not work - same problem iTunes did not recognize phone. I then called AppleCare. The fourth reboot was from the Apple Menu again and was a normal reboot. iTunes launched and immediately began extracting and updating. It took quite a while and included some firmware updates.

----------

To get into DFU mode, be connected to iTunes, hold down home and on/off , when the screen goes off release on/off. Continue holding home button and iTunes will respond and recognize device is in recovery mode.

I did this twice today.

That didn't work for me, but there is seldom only one way to solve these problems :p

----------

This why people install the GM seed, avoid server overloading issues.

So good to be one of the Elite Apple Users - lol # # - Alas, I couldn't install until I was cleared by Corporate

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I am impatient and downloaded while on vacation. It downloaded fine then I started the install. Now I'm stuck int the connect to iTunes screen and am 1000+ miles away from home and no apple store.

5s 64gb

Can anything be done to get out of this? I can't stand iTunes!:mad:

Am I dead in the water?

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I am impatient and downloaded while on vacation. It downloaded fine then I started the install. Now I'm stuck int the connect to iTunes screen and am 1000+ miles away from home and no apple store.

5s 64gb

Can anything be done to get out of this? I can't stand iTunes!:mad:

Am I dead in the water?
Did you download directly with WiFi? or via a computer? If the former, I think you may be DIW, if the latter try rebooting the computer with the iPhone connected or disconnected. My path out of the jungle was: Safe Reboot iMac (hold down shift key during boot), Reboot Normal. Everything worked at that point.

mmcneil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I have forced many reboot s and nothing has changed. Still stuck on the apple logo.

----------

To make matters worse, iTunes will not recognize the device when plugged in.

Disconnect all external drives and peripherals, Do as Safe Boot (Hold down SHIFT during boot), Reboot with iPhone plugged in - that is what worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.