iOS 8 Concept - iPad Spilt Screen Multitasking

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iOSBry, Jan 4, 2014.

1. iOSBry macrumors 6502

2. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

I like the idea of split-screening since windowing doesn't really make sense on a touch device (IMO). However, I don't like the concept. Why we would have to press the home button. Just swiping from the side edges should be sufficient. Like Windows 8.

3. iOSBry thread starter macrumors 6502

I can only assume Sam illustrated it that way because it seems to be "logical" - I.e., you double press the home button to launch the multitasking view or use the four finger gesture to do the same. I don't believe an edge swipe will work since iOS 7 uses edge swiping to go backward and forward (think Safari).

There are probably other gestures that could be created to initiate this but I like the overall concept. Apple should be tearing down the barriers to getting tasks/work done in iOS and this would be one way to better enable their customers.

iOSBry

4. VTECaddict macrumors 6502

Something like this is sorely needed to increase productivity on the iPad. If Apple does implement something like this, I don't think they would be adjustable like the concept or like on Galaxy tablets. They will probably just scale down the apps to fit 2 portrait apps side by side in landscape mode or 2 landscape apps on top of each other in portrait mode.

5. DarkCole macrumors regular

DarkCole

This looks very Apple-like. Would be great to finally get this feature.

6. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

I had forgotten about that edge gesture. Using a two fingers edge swipe (like on a mac for notification center) would work.

While in the topic of edge-gestures, what happens when a user wants to go back on Safari using that gesture and its on the right? Trying to make that edge-gesture for Safari could/would end up moving the divider instead.

What I meant (in relation to the home button) was that I didn't agree with the need to enter the multitasking screen. In addition to that, I don't like that the user would need to press a button, choose another app from a list, and then dismiss the multitasking view. The whole experience seems bloated.

Plus, the concept didn't go much into exiting or modifying multi-app mode. Would I have to close one of the apps every time I want to exist? What happens when I go to the Maps app? Would it be fullscreen? What If I want it to replace the Calendar or Safari app?

Honestly, the only thing this concept has going for it, in addition to the presentation style, is the idea of two apps being on screen at the same time. An idea that has been around for iOS for a while now.

I agree. Apple should really work on making the iPad more productive.

7. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603