iOS 8 Dark Mode?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Polaroid, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Polaroid macrumors 6502a

Seeing as Mac has it, did Apple add to iOS8? Sorry if it's been mentioned or posted here before.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Nope. Not in iOS 8. Not even in the first Developer Preview for Yosemite, either.

3. Polaroid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah just realised its gone in first Beta, wanted to try it lol - and shame its not on iOS8 - wonder if they will add? Something A LOT of have wanted, so seems odd they chose Yosemite over iOS lol

4. wsc9005 macrumors regular

I would love to see a darker theme in iOS 8 too.

5. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

6. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

There's no dark mode but there's a Greyscale option to turn the whole UI to a greyscale.

Yeah, lame... I also wanted f.lux.

7. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I realized that too, kinda disappointing.

Already added some feedback on the developer side and sent a note in using http://www.apple.com/feedback/

8. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Submitted my feedback and added that link to my signature. Surely Apple will listen. :)

9. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Would love to have a dark mode on iOS as well. I hope Apple will consider it in the next beta builds.

10. cammykool macrumors regular

now i am on 10.10 but for my dads iPhone this would be awesome!

11. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I agree, we need a dark mode on the mobile devices.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

During WWDC Craig explained that the reason behind Dark mode on OSX was to eliminate distraction (by making items darker so they get out of the way) so that you could focus on your work.

The only type of "work" that is done on an iPhone is e-mails. You don't really need a dark mode for e-mails.

It would be more beneficial to add a fl.ux type feature over turning your iPhone UI dark for no apparent reason other than a personal preference.

13. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

+1,000,000

It really saves my eyes on my Mac at night, but then when I use my iPhone...

14. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I wouldn't count on it.. It's not even in apples test settings.. So they are likely not even considering it for IOS8.

Toggle and shortcut customization are in the test setting... That is one I hope they do implement. :)

15. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

I agree with all of you: it would be a blessing. However, I don't see Apple really doing it, at least not in the foreseeable future. iOS, as it stands, "becomes" the app you launch, so there would be little incentive to adopt the dark mode. Compare it with OS X, where if you don't adopt it, you would make your application stick out like a sore thumb.

16. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

This is correct. It is extremely unlikely for Apple to introduce a dark mode for iOS due to the fact that apps are coded based on two main styles. A Dark navigation and a Light navigation already exist in apps. Introducing a 'Dark' mode for iOS wouldn't change third party apps.

So the question then becomes is it worth it for the default apps. Considering the effort that has gone into a whole OS like this its unlikely that they will then introduce a way to break the consistency with a dark mode.

However - if you notice... we almost already do have a dark mode...inverted colours in Accessibility which is effectively a dark mode of sorts.

17. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

yeah, but it also screws up all the gradients and produces not pleasing color palettes. It is no more than a hack.

18. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Weren't there already several threads about this? Anyways like I said in a previous post it would make sense to have a dark mode if certain 3rd party keyboards like Swype have black themes. We wouldn't want a black keyboard to clash with a white iMessage, Safari, etc. interface/background. It wouldn't look very unified.

If you're on iOS 7 and jailbroken you should check out the tweak "Bloard" which essentially is a black/dark themed keyboard replacement that looks great. ;)

19. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I dont know how I missed this comment the first time. We ned f.lux, NOW :D

20. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

Well back in iOS 7.1 beta, Apple DID test a darker Keyboard option, however it was removed, this could be due to the fact that they knew in iOS 8 that they would enable even better 3rd party keyboards.

21. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

22. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I use the dark themes for Reeder and Editorial. I would really like one systemwide, but I know that won't happen.

I don't think the dark mode in 10.10 is a good solution either. It makes your wallpaper pop out more. It's still just better to go fullscreen.