Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I finally was able to get iTunes to start the iOS 8 download on my Air. Estimated time was 30 minutes at first, then kept slowing down eventually went to 80 minutes. So I browsed iClarified and they've posted the direct links to every iOS 8 update file. Don't worry, the .ipsw is downloaded directly from Apple server.

I downloaded both the iPad Air and rMini .ipsw files, 2GB each, less than 10 minutes. Placed the .ipsw file in the iPad Software Updates folder for iTunes, done.

Link to iPad .ipsw here.

iPhone here.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I finally was able to get iTunes to start the iOS 8 download on my Air. Estimated time was 30 minutes at first, then kept slowing down eventually went to 80 minutes. So I browsed iClarified and they've posted the direct links to every iOS 8 update file. Don't worry, the .ipsw is downloaded directly from Apple server.

I downloaded both the iPad Air and rMini .ipsw files, 2GB each, less than 10 minutes. Placed the .ipsw file in the iPad Software Updates folder for iTunes, done.

Link to iPad .ipsw here.

iPhone here.

As far as I know they're being fed off the same server so YMMV. On the other hand, many people are going to be updating directly from the devices (delta update), this I suspect might be fed off different servers, so downloading the full file through iTunes/direct download could be faster.

I'm currently downloading for the 5s through iTunes and it's saying 20 minutes.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
As far as I know they're being fed off the same server so your MMV. On the other hand, many people are going to be updating directly from the devices (delta update), this I suspect might be fed off different servers, so downloading the full file through iTunes/direct download will be faster.

Yeah, I tried just letting iTunes do its thing but it just wasn't moving. While I waited, I thought I'd try to grab the direct links and try my luck. I was very surprise it grabbed both rMini and Air .ipsw in less than 10 minutes.

Gotta mess with it some more to say it's a definite improvement, but so far, it seems it can leave more tabs open in Safari on my Air.

PS I couldn't do OTA update. It said it's a 1.3GB download which is pretty huge just for delta, but it required 6.9GB on my Air which I don't have.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Yeah, I tried just letting iTunes do its thing but it just wasn't moving. While I waited, I thought I'd try to grab the direct links and try my luck. I was very surprise it grabbed both rMini and Air .ipsw in less than 10 minutes.

Gotta mess with it some more to say it's a definite improvement, but so far, it seems it can leave more tabs open in Safari on my Air.

PS I couldn't do OTA update. It said it's a 1.3GB download which is pretty huge just for delta, but it required 6.9GB on my Air which I don't have.

The direct download links are slow now.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
The direct download links are slow now.

Just started grabbing it for my iPod Touch 5 after I updated my rMini's and Air. Still going very fast for me doing direct download. Still crawling if I do it in iTunes.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 141

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009

How much is needed for iPhone?

By the way, that's gonna piss some people off. :)

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
How much is needed for iPhone?

By the way, that's gonna piss some people off. :)

It did, people are not happy. There's another thread about it. Think someone said it needed 4.9GB for their iphone. Yeah the free space requirement differs.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Just started grabbing it for my iPod Touch 5 after I updated my rMini's and Air. Still going very fast for me doing direct download. Still crawling if I do it in iTunes.

Still painfully slow here on a 30MB Fibre Optic connection. Getting less than 100KB/sec.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I updated my iPhone and iPad simultaneously using the OTA update from within system settings at 1pm EST. They each took 8 minutes to download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.