iOS 8 Extensions and Google Maps on Lock Screen

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mozzarella, Dec 16, 2014.

1. mozzarella macrumors newbie

Is it possible for Google Maps or other mapping applications to display on the lock screen during navigation now that developers have a bit more flexibility with extensions?

If not, hopefully that becomes possible down the line.

Thanks guys!

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Nope. Apple restricts most of the cool stuff to its own apps. Google maps would be nice on the locks screen. Right now, if you don't have a passcode or have Touch ID set up it's not terribly bad because it's just a swipe or scan away.

I'm expecting extended extensions (hehe) for iOS 9. I'd like.... improved music, photos and notification extensions with added extension for lock screen and control center. Besides that a music extension would be cool. Where they can add a tab with their own UI and such. Such as beats, spotify, pandora.

Also for keyboard or extension only apps... let them hide the app icon and throw them into an extension manager in settings.

3. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Pretty sure Google Maps can play at the lock screen and shows content at the lock screen but correct me if i am wrong

4. jamiebrown6 macrumors member

Yes, Google Maps provides turn notifications on the lockscreen (and voice over) all in the background while locked. It's not quite as nice as the Apple Maps fullscreen view when locked though.

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Yeah - it can provide voice and a notification, but not like Apple Maps does (Full screen on the lockscreen)