iOS 8 family sharing with different credit card numbers?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iFanaddic, Jul 19, 2014.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

for those who have iOS 8 installed

is there any way we can tell if family sharing will be possible with different credit cards? it may be an advantage to some but not to me. Just wondering because I plan to use it but we all have an independent credit card account.

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

If you have independent credit cards then you can't use Family Sharing. Just switch them over and then you all can share.

3. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

we live appart and are all independent, we don't care for app sharing we be individually, but findmyidevice shared sounds like a good idea.

4. dwfaust, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

but according to this article (http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/07/ios-8-preview-family-sharing.html) family sharing will give me the ability to share pictures, calendars, locations ect..

6. dwfaust, Jul 19, 2014
  7. irnchriz, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014

irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Sorry, but your solution is a very poor workaround.

By doing this they would be giving up the following:

Individual documents and data
    Individual Safari favourites
    Individual iCloud backup OR having to buy more space to fit all of the device backups
    Individual keychains
    Individual photo streams

Yes, you can successfully use one Apple ID for the App Store and iTunes, we currently do that at home. Or you can all use different accounts with different payment methods.

If you want to share location ID use a third party app or 'Apples 'find Friends' app.

8. chinanderm macrumors regular

chinanderm

For legal reasons, I'm sure Apple cannot allow Family Sharing to spread across multiple credit cards. Allowing multiple Apple IDs with multiple payment methods would just invite people to become a "family" and share, a la the original Napster.

There is no way to verify that a group of Apple IDs are truly family without having some common purchase method. I could have everyone in my condo complex be considered my "family" on iTunes and Apple would not know how to verify that. Having a master credit card tied to multiple Apple IDs is the perfect way to verify that those accounts are a part of a family.

Now, if Apple could somehow verify with credit card companies that a family's group of credit cards are all part of one master account, then multiple cards could work.

9. dwfaust, Jul 20, 2014
  10. lint2015 macrumors member

While you can do most of what Family Sharing does already (Family Sharing just sets it all up for you automatically) apart from sharing iTunes, App Store and possibly iBooks purchases, that's not the case with Find My iPhone.

Family Sharing will allow you to use any linked family device to see the location of another family member's devices. Currently, you can only see a family member's devices in Find My Friends, and only from the one device they have elected to share, not all their devices.

11. londondude macrumors regular

Amazon prime allows it if you live in the same location.

12. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

But you can only have ONE iCloud account for keychain, safari favs, find my iPhone.

Other than that you have email accounts and iTunes accounts. To share location data you give up a multitude of features to do it. Seems a stupid and backward way to do device tracking unless you all really want to have the same safari favourites and store each others website passwords and have access to each others documents etc.

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Why not just use find my friends for location sharing? I think the family sharing is intended for families living in one household.

14. mactumors macrumors 6502

Can't you put multiple credit cards on an iTunes account? If you trust your friend enough to have your CC number then just let them add it to their account.

I don't actually have iOS 8. Would that work?

15. lint2015 macrumors member

Because Find My Friends is for locating people while Find My iPhone is for locating devices?

16. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

You can use Find my iPhone as long as you trust your family to use your iCloud account. You can log in with any id on any device, regardless of what iCloud ID is already on the device, as long as you have the username and password.

17. maviso5 macrumors regular

Has anyone found the answer to this?

I want to have multiple cards to stop family members purchasing stuff on my card when they have their own card.

18. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

I don't think it is possible. Are Apple that naive to think that every family is hunky-dorey with their money? I don't expect anybody else in my family to pay for my purchases, not sure why Apple would.

19. maviso5 macrumors regular

Well that's just the point I don't want to pay for my relations purchases...want them to pay for their own... :/

20. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

The family sharing feature is a good idea, but in actual use it just isn't realistic. I want to set it up in time for Apple Music but looks like we are all going to have our own subscriptions instead - great for Apple.

21. maviso5 macrumors regular

It is realistic if you're other users are kids that have devices however we're all old enough and ugly enough to have our own accounts but it would be nice to share purchases without hammering 1 central credit card :(

22. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

Are those kids not going to get cards for themselves eventually? Once they do the functionality is broken.

23. maviso5 macrumors regular

Of course they will one day but it allows them to safely buy Music/Apps etc. in the short term

24. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

When I was at the age to be able to afford an iDevice I was competent enough to not spend wild amounts of money on apps/IAP.

I can definetly see your point however it does not change my opinion that the functionality is limited and not realistic for a lot of families.

25. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Once they do you no longer need family sharing. They would then be at a point to not need the family option, they can care for themselves. What you wanted to say is how can we pay one lower fee for music and still all act like adults. I get that and only moved to family sharing myself because I have to for the feature to work. Prior we did share my iTunes account with the idea that one day we would move on.