iOS 8 freezing on putting springboard icons in wiggle mode?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by pdaholic, Nov 8, 2014.

1. pdaholic macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Just seeing if this is universal to iOS 8 or if it's an issue with the NAND memory on the 128gb devices. I have both the 6 and 6+ 128gb, and both tend to freeze for several seconds when I try to delete an app. Both on 8.1. Thanks!

2. wermy, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

wermy macrumors regular

I was just coming here to ask about the same issue, found your thread after searching.

Same thing is happening to me on a (you guessed it) 128GB 6+. Don't know if the 128GB NAND is the problem or not - would be really interested to hear if any 64GB-ers are having the same problem.

Basically just like OP described: if you go into wiggle-mode on your home screen and hit the x on an app, it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds before the "Are you sure?" alert pops up. Pretty annoying, especially if you are wanting to go through and delete several apps in succession.

Edit: If it's relevant at all, I have 124 apps installed. At first I thought the large number of apps was to blame, but I'm not sure.

Edit 2: I just asked a friend if he had a delay on his 64GB 6 when trying to delete apps, and he said a little. Then we compared. His takes around 5 seconds before the alert came up. Mine took about FIFTEEN seconds. And he has 177 apps installed.

Edit 3: I just asked another friend to try it on his 128GB 6+. His confirmation alert appeared instantaneous. He only has 75 apps installed, though.

3. pdaholic thread starter macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Thanks for your reply Wermy. I only have about 20-30 apps installed on my device, so I don't think number of apps is necessarily the culprit. I need to break out my other devices and see if they have issues as well. It's a really annoying bug if you like to test out apps and delete them!

4. wermy macrumors regular

I got *really* annoyed at this problem this weekend as I was trying to delete some games I don't play much and that sort of thing. So I did a restore and set it up as a new phone, and the problem went away completely (when I first got my 6+ I restored from a backup).

pdaholic: did you happen to do a restore from backup when you set up your phone?

5. wermy macrumors regular

Never mind, it's back. :(

Downloaded an app to try out earlier, went to delete it, and it took a good 20 seconds or so for the deletion confirmation alert to pop up.

6. pdaholic thread starter macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

Yep, restore didn't help. My iPod touch on iOS 8 is doing the same, so I don't think its related to the specific device. This morning I went to delete some tested apps, and strangely, the first deleted immediately, but the second required a long pause! I'm wondering if 8.1.1 may fix, but I'm not updating yet as I plan to jailbreak. Annoying bug!

7. wermy macrumors regular

Well that's actually encouraging. If your iPod Touch is doing it as well it probably isn't related to the type of NAND. I was worrying it would be a sign of trouble to come further down the road for my device. Hopefully not. :)

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Just chiming in. I have a 64GB 6+ and do not have this issue.

9. wermy macrumors regular

I just upgraded to 8.1.1... So far so good. Hopefully that was one of the fixes. :)

10. pdaholic thread starter macrumors 6502a

pdaholic

I hope Wermy! Like I say though, I'm probably holding off on upgrading because of the jailbreak. I've actually got a "delete" folder and fill it up to delete a bunch of apps at once, haha!