General iOS 8 GM for developers?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dan70, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Dan70 macrumors regular

Hey, does anyone know if the iOS8 GM will be released to developers any time soon? Apparently the GM always gets released 2 days before the launch event that is broadcast but anyone know any other info?

I ask mainly because things have gone quiet since beta 5.

2. RebornProphet Suspended

Tuesday. GM seeds to developers the day of the new iPhone keynote.

3. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

Yes it will be released a few hours after the keynote on September 9th 2014 after 1pm Eastern standard time

To registered ios developers only

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It is released on the day of the iPhone event, not two days before. The GM will be released to developers on Tuesday.

5. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

I'm curious to know(which site) said 2 days before lol

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

As the others have said, shortly after the keynote ends on Tuesday, the GM will be seeded to developers.

The quiet is normal, as Apple will put the finishing touches on iOS 8 for the GM. Then another 7-8 days later, the live version will go out to everyone else. Unless there's a major last minute bug found in the GM, the live version will be the same as the GM.

7. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Yup, it's been more than 1 month since B5, can't wait to see how stable gm will be

8. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

I wouldn't get your hopes up im sure there will still be many bugs. This time however we will have the world help us discover more bugs

9. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I was just thinking this. They have had a long time to iron out lots of bugs and to refine everything. Possibly enough time to add a couple new features here and there ;) although I wouldn't count on it. At all.

But yeah, GM will most definitely be made available on 9/9.

10. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

How do they put the GM on the iPhone 6? Did they finish it weeks ago?

11. Sonmi451 Suspended

It's probably not even done yet. Well, maybe it is actually. But it won't be released until Tuesday as others have said. It probably wasn't done "weeks ago", more likely in the past week maybe. But this is all speculation as nobody knows for sure.

12. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

B5 is very stable on my 5c (fresh install), apps only need to be updated for iOS 8 and its gonna be sweet!

13. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

Also it doesn't actually get shipped till the end of September. So they could add an ota update afterwards. I think apple can update the devices possibly ota

14. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Hidden features but only for the next iphones haba

15. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

They can always do what they did with the 5s last year and push an 8.0.1 update on day one (or shortly thereafter) if there are any urgent issues that need fixing.

16. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I wish I could have a legit way to not have that stupid red notification circle on my settings app for a few months until all the bugs of 8 are sorted out. I'd rather just stay on 7.1.2 on my everyday devices for a few months and let y'all finish the beta testing. i'm too old for frequent updates. get off my lawn

17. treichert macrumors 6502

It will ship a week and a half after the keynote. The GM is very likely done by now and being put on the new iPhones right now.

18. Dan70 thread starter macrumors regular

Quiet a few news sites. Googling iOS 8 GM release brought a few different sites up, all of which were well known and reputable sources too.

Haha, that get my lawn bit was funny.

Why not just download it but not install it? I'm pretty sure that you can download the update but you need to manually run the installer for it to kick it up to version 8. Surely that'll remove the red circle?

19. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well those sites were incorrect, as for at least the past few years, the GM was released the day of the iPhone event.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Can't say I've come across any sites saying that, let alone quite a few, and especially reputable ones. Any links to such articles? I'd be really curious to see who actually says that.

21. treichert macrumors 6502

22. Dan70 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm more than happy to admit I was wrong and was seeing things because after some searching, the only sites I found that claimed this were not well known ones in my opinion. Sorry guys, my mistake!

The only site that mentions various different release dates is "The Epoch Times".

Although Tech Radar has been guessing various dates but have provided some updates to a more appropriate release time.

One article that got an update; http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...phones/ios-8-10-things-we-want-to-see-1166133

23. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yeah you will never see a GM before the new iPhone announce. The GM will have features we haven't seen in any of the betas that relate directly to the new iPhone.

24. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Very possible the GM is what was already released to the carriers and the release will drop after the keynote. Apple could be changing it up due to the early releases (GM) of years past to the general population. That would also allow for the preload of the new devices as well. Never know what they may do.

25. batting1000 macrumors 604

Nope. Public release won't be on the keynote day. Devs need the GM prior to the public release so they can test their apps against the real public build.