iOS 8 GM vs iOS 7.1.2 performance?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by SeenJeen, Sep 10, 2014.

1. SeenJeen macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5 & iPad Mini retina and would like to make the jump.

What's everyone's experience so far with the GM? Performance is crucial to me.

2. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

You should try before iOS8 is officialy out. You can still downgrade to iOS7.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

My 5 runs it very well for the less than a day I've used it.

4. Max Your Macs macrumors member

I have a new iPad (non retina) that I just bought on the $199 deal at Best Buy. It was running great on 7.1.2 but 8 is being fairly laggy and I've had apps crash randomly. Mostly it seems like apps that need refreshed like USA Today and Safari are the worst. Rotation has a second or two pause before it moves as well. I'm thinking even though it technically runs on the A5, it's pushing it a bit beyond what it can handle comfortably.

5. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

6. SeenJeen thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like it could be a low memory issue.

This is precisely why I ditched the 4s for the 5 recently ... Low RAM was becoming a huge issue for me in iOS 7.

Thanks for the feedback!

----------

Sounds promising! Thanks.

7. Imory macrumors 6502a

Do you notice a difference in terms of speed, crashes etc? Would say that your phone is just as fast as it was on iOS 7?

8. Farplaner macrumors 6502

My first impressions is that it seems faster than before, but for some reason the home button doesn't seem to respond sometimes after upgrading to ios8...

9. SeenJeen thread starter macrumors regular

Just installed... Fresh, factory settings. Set up as new phone.

So far okay... Some jitteriness in Safari and Spotlight. Memory usage seems pretty good; ~ 450mb free on cold boot, which was the same with iOS 7.

10. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded my 5s and iPad 4 from 7.1.2 a couple hours ago and all seems fine so far.

11. Sharkey311 Suspended

12. SeenJeen thread starter macrumors regular

Siri slows down a bit when "hey Siri" is enabled.

Siri is instant when it's off.

Oh well... I didn't really think too much of that feature anyway

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Like?

14. 10tacleBoy macrumors member

Runs flawlessly on my iPhone 5. I'd say it's even a bit faster than 7. Like for example when you swipe down to Spotlight there's absolutely no lag anymore, which used to annoy me sometimes. I guess Apple has done a lot of optimizing.

15. Sharkey311 Suspended

Videos go silent if you switch the silent button on and you have to refresh the page and reload the video. Some video's UI stretches beyond the video that is playing, notifications stay visible and can't be dismissed by swiping up on them you have to press the home button to dismiss it.

It definitely doesn't feel like the final version to me. And all this happens on my 5S as well.

16. bkends35, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I have it on both my 5s and iPad 4 and I've had the 5s on it for more than 24 hours and have gone through a full battery cycle and here are my thoughts...

-Battery has been pretty bad, 5:30 usage on first full cycle. However this will change once I run a few cycles
    -A few apps crash immediately like sportscenter because theyre not ready for iOS 8
    -Not as smooth as iOS 7
    -Keyboard and text entry field don't show up in a group chat sometimes
    -Notifications are working really well
    -The new keyboard works really well
    -Double tapping the home button takes slightly longer when the recent contacts are enabled vs. not enabled

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Strangely enough I've been having those same video issues in iOS 7.1 in the last few months.

18. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Oh this was an issue? I've been killing myself over this, I thought iOS purposely made the video silent if the silent switch was on (it makes sense to some degree but can get annoying)

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

I only started running into it in the last month or two (when I still had iOS 7.1.2). It's rather odd I would have to say.