iOS 8 Instant Hotspot Not Working

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Indy89, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Indy89 macrumors member

Hi All,

I have read a few guides on the instant hotspot feature but it just isn't working for me. Both my iPhone 5 and Retina iPad Mini are signed into the same account but it still doesn't work. Am I missing something or are other people having the same trouble? My only way to tether is the same way I always have which is to turn it on manually. I also noticed that none of the continuity features seem to be working across my iOS 8 devices despite them all being on the same Apple ID.

What's most irratating about this is its one the main features I was most looking forward to.

2. brummie macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing the same problem, as far as I can tell nothing has changed!

When I tried to connect my iPad my iPhone still appears in the normal list of available wifi connections (after going in to my phone and manually enabling hotspot).

I've read mentions of have to active it with your carrier, but I would assume that if your network provider allows tethering (I'm on O2 in the UK, which does) then it should just work out the box?

3. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Same problem here, but it was working yesterday

4. Indy89 thread starter macrumors member

At least I know it's not just me. Yeah I've read mention of the need for it to be activated but I think that's just for initially gaining access to tether. I'm with 3 and tethering is just active by default. I guess it's just hope a 8.x version fixes this unless a solution is found. It's just such a useful thing to have working when commuting on busy trains or buses and juggling two devices to setup tether is awkward.

5. brummie macrumors newbie

Exacly why I was looking forward to it.

6. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

Bluetooth on?

For those it is not working for, do you have bluetooth turned on at both devices? Maybe you also have to pair the devices once by bluetooth... ?

7. brummie macrumors newbie

BINGO! So it uses Bluetooth to locate your phone, turn on hotspot and then switches to wifi for data transfer. I guess this actually makes sense given how the rest of continuity works. Better get used to leaving Bluetooth on :(

8. Indy89 thread starter macrumors member

Bluetooth is turned on for both iPhone 5 and Retina iPad Mini and they are paired but still no luck.

9. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Works between my 5S and iPad Air. Shows my phone in a seperate section along with bars and charge level of the phone.. When I click on the hotspot, the phone is activated and the connection is made.

And, this is another thing that doesn't work with iPad 3.

10. Indy89 thread starter macrumors member

Finally started working today out of nowhere, not complaining though. #