iOS 8 iPhone 4S battery life is HORRIBLE

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by nezwick, Sep 18, 2014.

1. nezwick macrumors newbie

Phone charges at night and is 100% when I leave for work at 7:30.

It is 12:00 noon and I'm already down to 31%. Before, with iOS 7, I'd be around 75% by this time of day (60% minimum depending on usage).

Siri disabled
    Animations disabled ("reduce motion" setting)
    Predictive text disabled
    Screen brightness auto
    No apps running in background
    Always on WiFi
    etc etc

In the new "Battery Usage" section in Settings, the top three are:

Home & Lock Screen: 14%
    App Store: 8%

Anyone else with a 4S having battery trouble? I know pretty much the entire internet says not to install iOS 8 on a 4S but that was mostly because of performance lag or certain features not being available. Performance is on par with iOS 7, and I don't care about those features.

2. hasanahmad Suspended

The 4S is 3 years old. with the changes in the visual layout in iOS 7 and the API in iOS 8. this was bound to happen. its just Apple's way of telling you to upgrade

turn off notification widgets and you will save battery life.

3. nezwick thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention I installed a brand new battery about 6 months ago, for the exact same reasons (barely a half day of battery life).

I will look into disabling some of the notification widgets, but as far as I know the only notifications I have are for messages, Exchange email, Gmail, and Facebook. The first three are absolutely necessary for work. Facebook not so much but it's nice to have.

28%...

4. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

I got 4 hours of usage yesterday.
    It was a good day.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You're losing about 1% every 3 minutes. At that rate, your battery should only be expected to last 5 hours.

I'm serious when I say, try restarting your phone. I don't think that anything you do could possibly make your battery drain faster at this point, and it just might fix something if there's a process sucking up 100% of your CPU.

6. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

Post a screenshot of your usage screen. Theres a good chance it's something like your photos updating in the background. This is the reason apple included this feature.

7. nezwick thread starter macrumors newbie

FML

IMG_2925.PNG

Tried this. We'll see what happens.

Down to 20% now. Lost 3% in the time it took to email that screenshot to myself and attach it to this post.

8. nezwick thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, notifications got turned back on somehow for all kinds of stupid apps. I disabled everything but the essentials.

9. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Keep us updated. I'm experiencing many of the same issues you are. I have the same phone, too.

10. nezwick thread starter macrumors newbie

9%. Disabling notifications for apps and restarting the phone had no effect.

11. iPhone20 macrumors regular

iOS 8 not that good on 4s

Just reverted back to iOS 7.1.2 ...
    iOS 8 experience was horrible for me..
    I will think of updating 4s when 8.1 arrives..
    Thank God 7.1.2 window is still open..

12. toronosaurus macrumors newbie

I downgraded too. iOS8 can s my d

13. nezwick thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you point me to the thread with the instructions for back-dating to iOS 7?

14. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

How old is your iPhone? Battery capacity decreasing every month so don't get upset for bad battery if your iPhone is 2years old or more...

15. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

16. nezwick thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea how old it is, I got the phone itself second hand, to replace my original iPhone 4 whenever iOS 7 came out. I did, however, install a brand new replacement battery (genuine Apple) about 6 months ago. I was mostly satisfied with the battery life up until yesterday when I installed iOS 8. I could get about 12 hours with 7, and now it's about 5 hours.

17. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Oh okey, hmmm give atleast 3 charge cycles and some days to settle down operating system.

18. nezwick thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's been hanging out at 5% for the past 45 minutes with no change. Maybe it's an issue of calibration and not excessive drain. I've heard of this behaviour before but never experienced it with my particular device.

19. GAUG3 macrumors member

Drain it until it shuts off. Then charge again. Hoping it just needs to be calibrated...

20. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I must've accidentally hit ok on the update screen when moving the phone this morning (half asleep). I turned off wifi but I now have a partially downloaded 8 going on.

I started a thread on how to stop it, but how do you go back to 7?

I have a backup through iTunes on the laptop as of last night (iOS6) and this morning (iOS7 but that was when it was attempting to download so no idea if that's also locked into the backup). Unfortunately I've have the phone attached to my old G4 all these years, so that's where my music is. That version of iTunes will no longer see the phone. I can manually move the music to my MB if need be.

I also have the same with ibackupbot. I've never used ibackup bot to restore. I did restore once with iTunes and iCloud and didn't lose too much data - what I lost was missing in the iTunes backup as it wasn't 100% current then.

I have an iCloud backup from last night which is also iSO6.

How long is the downgrade window open? I held out on 7 for a full year and now I'm stuck halfway in 8. Like the OP I got a new battery in June, so I really don't want to go back to the bad battery issues.

Thanks so much

21. iPhone20 macrumors regular

So you were on iOS 6 for the past year?
    Download ipsw file for iOS 7.1.2 from anywhere and connect your phone to iTunes & then click Shift + Restore (Windows) and choose the ipsw file
    And you will be back on iOS 7.1.2
    And do it fast until they have opened the window for 7.1.2