Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I tried downloading the currently available tweaks on Cydia with no luck. (Lightsaber Lock Sounds/Lightsaber Sounds) Does anyone have an alternative?

iPhone 6+ iOS 8.1

Yes I am a Star Wars nerd......

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
The package installer probably installed them in the wrong folder. Maybe thru iFile you can hunt around and move them into their proper place.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
make you own sounds

the system sound files are located here

/System/Library/Audio/UISounds

jsut backup originals to change them back if you want later

from reading around it does not look like the winterboard meathod works anymore

Last edited:

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
make you own sounds

the system sound files are located here

/System/Library/Audio/UISounds

jsut backup originals to change them back if you want later

from reading around it does not look like the winterboard meathod works anymore

After reading your post about this in another thread, it finally dawned on me that I wasn't activating the sound theme in winterboard. Duh. Thank you.

The lock sound now works, but iOS 8 doesn't use an unlock sound. Is there any way to create the action and use a lightsaber sound?

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
After reading your post about this in another thread, it finally dawned on me that I wasn't activating the sound theme in winterboard. Duh. Thank you.

The lock sound now works, but iOS 8 doesn't use an unlock sound. Is there any way to create the action and use a lightsaber sound?

Unlocksound7 works on iOS 8.1 I'm using it.

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Unlocksound7 works on iOS 8.1 I'm using it.

Awesome!! Downloaded and working. Any advice on how to add the lightsaber "open" file? I see in the instructions where to put the file, but I have no clue how to GET the file name. I have a lightsaber open text tone......

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Awesome!! Downloaded and working. Any advice on how to add the lightsaber "open" file? I see in the instructions where to put the file, but I have no clue how to GET the file name. I have a lightsaber open text tone......

/system/library/audio/uisounds and you'll see unlock_ios7.caf up in there just rename that and rename yours to unlock_ios.caf. Cheers:)

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I guess I'm confused. If I name it unlock.caf, how does it know to play the lightsaber unlock sound and not one of the other 40 text tones I have?

Sorry. I really appreciate the help.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I guess I'm confused. If I name it unlock.caf, how does it know to play the lightsaber unlock sound and not one of the other 40 text tones I have?

Sorry. I really appreciate the help.

if you look at var/mobile there is no other sound files in that location, whoever programed the tweak did some programing that if you set the tweak settings to Custom to look in var/mobile for a file called unlock.caf, if no file is present it plays the default unlock sound located where the other poster mentioned

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
if you look at var/mobile there is no other sound files in that location, whoever programed the tweak did some programing that if you set the tweak settings to Custom to look in var/mobile for a file called unlock.caf, if no file is present it plays the default unlock sound located where the other poster mentioned

Got it, I understand that. Thank you.....

I guess I don't understand how it KNOWS to play a specific sound if it is not told which file to play. I created unlock.caf in the var/mobile file, but how do I put my "lightsaber open" sound file in to that folder?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Got it, I understand that. Thank you.....

I guess I don't understand how it KNOWS to play a specific sound if it is not told which file to play. I created unlock.caf in the var/mobile file, but how do I put my "lightsaber open" sound file in to that folder?

no no you rename your your lightsaber open sound to unlock.caf

if its in a m4r or mp3 format you will have to google how to convert it to .caf

the unlock.caf is the actual sound files its not a folder

timmay77

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
no no you rename your your lightsaber open sound to unlock.caf

if its in a m4r or mp3 format you will have to google how to convert it to car

the unlock.caf is the actual sound files its not a folder

AH! That makes sense. Thank you. OK, I downloaded the Cydia app "Lightsaber Sounds", it is suppose to have the unlock sound in it. Is there a way to drill down through iFile to that app and rename it unlcok.caf in the app somewhere so UnlockSound7 uses that file? Would that work?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
AH! That makes sense. Thank you. OK, I downloaded the Cydia app "Lightsaber Sounds", it is suppose to have the unlock sound in it. Is there a way to drill down through iFile to that app and rename it unlcok.caf in the app somewhere so UnlockSound7 uses that file? Would that work?

yes if you can find the files in the Lightsaber sounds tweak if they are in .caf format find one you want and use iFile to rename it to unlock.caf and move it to var/mobile

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
actually the app says to put it in var/mobile

and to call it unlock.caf

That worked in iOS 7 but not 8. When you install the app on iOS 8 it automatically puts the tone into system/library/audio/uisounds and names it unlock_ios7.caf.

Glad you got it working anyways...

***Yep just tested it it works both ways so follow what the app says. I've been doing it the other way cause I don't use Winterboard and have 8 different custom tones I use. Good catch heisenberg!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.