iOS 8 Keyboard Explanation Please!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dino F, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

Can someone please explain how the iOS 8 keyboard is supposed to function?

By that I mean the words that appear above the keyboard as you type. The way I see it, is this: as I am typing, the keyboard is suggesting words which it thinks I am going to type next, however, I am finding that 99% of the time, it is actually quicker for me to carry on typing the letters, for the remainder of the word, rather than selecting the correct word from the suggested grey bar?!? :confused:

Is this how it is supposed to work?!

2. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

Why is it faster to type multiple letters than just clicking 1 word? Maybe I'm a slow typist, but it saves me a lot of time. If you don't find it useful, you can turn it off.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes, that is how it is supposed to work, even though you don't seem to need it.

4. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

iOS 8 Keyboard Explanation Please!

Yes. It depends on how fast you type. I type fast enough on the keyboard that it is faster for me to type out the word than to glance up, spot the word, and tap it. But it has helped me with very long words or some words that for some reason I do not type accurately. So the combination makes my typing even faster now.

I think it could be a tremendous boost especially for slower typists once they get used to it and fall into a rhythm.

5. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

This.

And if OP doesn't like it, just turn it off.

6. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68020

Dino F

Yep - totally this ^^^

Will see how I get on - thanks for clarifying ;)

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I love the new QuickType keyboard. I am not the fastest on my iPhone and have never mastered the art of typing fast as I seem to make too many mistakes. The new keyboard is the answer to my prayers!