iOS 8 Music App

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by BillyMatt87, Apr 7, 2014.

1. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

Will Apple refine and polish the music app in iOS 8 that was left fairly broken in iOS 7?

iOS 6's stock music app was perfect, while they don't have to use the same design, at least a return to the same functionalities that we lost.

Things the music app needs improving:

- The Artist thumbnails are way too big and reduce the amount of artist that you can view per screen at a given time (4 as opposed to the previous 8 or 9?). Apple should either reduce the size or just give us the option to turn it off.

- The Artist view should be the way it was in iOS 1-6. I have fairly large collections for a bunch of artists and id like to be able to elect a particular album or song without having to scroll through an entire artist collection that also doesn't respect album boundaries or give you the option to shuffle individual albums. This is probably the worst part of the new music app.

- The Landscape mode in the iOS 7 is less functional and buggy (sometimes it stays in the album tile interface even when the device is in portrait mode). I would like to see CoverFlow come back in some fashion and it would sorta resemble how the new Safari tabs look.

- I hope to see the "Now Playing" screen resemble its Remote app counterpart. The "Now Playing" screen in the Remote is absolutely beautiful and I would love to see that design make its way to the default music app.

- I used to be able to delete music by whole albums and complete artist collections, now I can only do individual songs. What happened there? Plus in iOS 5-6, whenever a song title, album or artist name was too long for the display, I could just hold down on my selection and it would display a complete text overly of said selection. I'd like that nifty little feature back too!

I honestly could care less about potential tentpole features such as the rumored HealthBook, I really hope iOS 8 gives us a much improved and refined music player. I wanna be able to use my iPhone as my primary music device as I did before, but until then my good 'ole iPod classic will do...

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

It would be nice to be able to add a song you're currently listening to to a playlist. For a company that got big off iPods and music, they sure botched this music app.

3. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

This is (one of the reasons) why I kept my iPod touch on iOS 6. iOS 7's player is only decent for power users if you jailbreak. I don't need ANY modifications with iOS 6 to use the player without frustration (except maybe Cyqueue for queuing songs).

4. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I quite like the iOS 7 design but like you mentioned, the Remote app is what the Music app should have been. iTunes 11 has Play Next, why can't the Music app on iOS 7? Also being able to delete full albums needs to make a return. The longer title thing is neither here nor there for me.

5. BillyMatt87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since I browse by artists, that view has been completely ruined. Let's say I have every complete album by The Beatles, scrolling to get to the album and or song that I want is much more tedious and time consuming because it's all laid out on a single page. I used to like being able to view my artist collections at a glance and then select the particular album and/or song that I wanted to listen to from there. Why change an interface method that previously worked so well? I don't understand the logic behind the change, so hopefully it will be fixed in the next big update.

6. AlexBerkman macrumors member

AlexBerkman

7. Crispy Duck macrumors regular

I do believe this has been fixed in 7.1.
    The shuffle button next to each album now just shuffles that album as it should do.

I agree with everything in this thread though.
    How can the (surely lesser used) Remote app be so much better than the standard Music app? Makes no sense.

My top 3 wishes:

• Album views back to before. Nested albums, click through for tracks. Perhaps even some sort options: By date/by Name/Reverse options. Instead of forcing one view on everyone, let us customise ourselves... like iTunes!

• Incorporate the whole Up Next feature from iTunes/Remote App into the regular Music app. Would be extremely useful.

• Less white. Remote app has a nicer colour scheme and darker look to the Now Playing section with blurred artwork in the background. Much more pleasant.

8. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Yeah coverflow is slowly being transitioned out of UI design in Apple. Hell, it's no longer in the iTunes desktop app and they might even take it out in the next OSX update in the Fall. I quite enjoyed it and it's a shame it is going away.

9. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

Maybe you can do this, but I don't know how, if not then this:

Add songs to up next, like on desktop iTunes, I like searching for songs in advance, at the moment I have to play a song and when I've the next one I just have to wait, it's frustrating