Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Which weather app do you guys recommend that is the most accurate and also has a good widget?

I use BeWeather 2 (2,99 dollar) / BeWeather 2 Free (free, with ads, not in widget)
I love that you can change a lot of (widget) settings what you (don't) want to see. Unfortunately the minute-to-minute rain forecast doesn't work in the Netherlands but for that i now use a separate widget from Buienalarm (for Netherlands and Belgium).

2vO7T1e.png

I have used also Weather Widget (0,99 dollar) (the one from David Richardson because there are a few out there with almost the same name) which you can also set to use a certain location and you don't need GPS (optional).

lzF6U4V.png

And another widget with Launcher like features:

Instant Launcher Shortcut | Free

I don't think it works on the lock screen as they suggest in this screenshot in the App Store:

screen322x572.jpeg

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I like the widgets that allow text input and tweets but the problem is they feel 'hacky' and likely will be pulled from the App Store, leaving you with a paid-for but permanently unsupported app.

I use several apps that have been pulled. One, Bugshot, the dev pulled himself because it was much work. No issues so far with any of them.

----------

Which weather app do you guys recommend that is the most accurate and also has a good widget?

BeWeather 2 gets my vote. I was a beta tester for BeWeather 2. It offers a lot of customization. It's Weather Underground on steroids.

----------

I just noticed yesterday night that there quite some copy-cats of the 'real' Launcher widget are available now within the App Store (all free). Competition is ok but i still do think it's the real Launcher widget that deserves all credits (and users). I also suggested to Cromulent Labs to file a request to Apple to ask to remove these. The idea and names are almost the same.

Launcher + | free | by Chen Wei Jie | official website

Launcher Pro | free | by Manh Nguyen Tien | official website

Launcher Widget | free | by iCM Development Inc. | official website

True, but you also have Camera+ and Camera Plus. Camera+ being the better of the two.

----------

I use BeWeather 2 (2,99 dollar) / BeWeather 2 Free (free, with ads, not in widget)
I love that you can change a lot of (widget) settings what you (don't) want to see. Unfortunately the minute-to-minute rain forecast doesn't work in the Netherlands but for that i now use a separate widget from Buienalarm (for Netherlands and Belgium).

I have used also Weather Widget (0,99 dollar) (the one from David Richardson because there are a few out there with almost the same name) which you can also set to use a certain location and you don't need GPS (optional).

And another widget with Launcher like features:

Instant Launcher Shortcut | Free

I don't think it works on the lock screen as they suggest in this screenshot in the App Store:

I along with several others were only able to get 3 sections to load on the widget. I suggested to pfluger, the dev, that he put that possible limitation in the app description. Some can load 5 sections with no issues. Some only 3. I have yet to find the common denominator in those that only do 3. Odd.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I use several apps that have been pulled. One, Bugshot, the dev pulled himself because it was much work. No issues so far with any of them.

----------

BeWeather 2 gets my vote. I was a beta tester for BeWeather 2. It offers a lot of customization. It's Weather Underground on steroids.

----------

True, but you also have Camera+ and Camera Plus. Camera+ being the better of the two.

----------

I along with several others were only able to get 3 sections to load on the widget. I suggested to pfluger, the dev, that he put that possible limitation in the app description. Some can load 5 sections with no issues. Some only 3. I have yet to find the common denominator in those that only do 3. Odd.
Just started with BeWeather and after trying about 6 other weather apps this one is the closest to what I would like in a widget (and for being able to control things in the widget and for using Weather Underground data). One of the few widgets that will give you information without location services needed--just based on saved locations. Not sure why more widgets don't offer that. Weather Underground had a good widget too, but it changed in the most recent version and isn't as good anymore.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Be Weather is a great weather app but I've found I can't set up the perimeters how I would like them.

EG:

I want the temperature to be in Degrees and my wind speed to be in MPH.

This app will let me choose degrees as the temp but it will change my MPH to km/h automatically.

If I change the km/h back to MPH it changes my degrees back to fahrenheit.

** Wind speed might be shown in MPH but the text description at the bottom of the app show km/h.

I also think the weather station nearby to me aren't the most reliable as wind speeds are well out to what is the current conditions.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
My one complaint about the BeWeather widget(s) is that they are so large vertically. I wish there was a 'minimal' mode.

Just started with BeWeather and after trying about 6 other weather apps this one is the closest to what I would like in a widget (and for being able to control things in the widget and for using Weather Underground data). One of the few widgets that will give you information without location services needed--just based on saved locations. Not sure why more widgets don't offer that. Weather Underground had a good widget too, but it changed in the most recent version and isn't as good anymore.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
iOS 8 Notification Center Widget Megathread

Be Weather is a great weather app but I've found I can't set up the perimeters how I would like them.

EG:

I want the temperature to be in Degrees and my wind speed to be in MPH.

This app will let me choose degrees as the temp but it will change my MPH to km/h automatically.

If I change the km/h back to MPH it changes my degrees back to fahrenheit.

** Wind speed might be shown in MPH but the text description at the bottom of the app show km/h.

I also think the weather station nearby to me aren't the most reliable as wind speeds are well out to what is the current conditions.

I don't have those issues. They are set in the app's settings. Mine stay where I set them. Try deleting the app, then reinstall it.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Trying BeWeather but for some reason it won't change the units for Temp and Wind Speed. Anyone else had an issue? Trying to set it as Celsius and mph.

Edit...cracked it! Set temp as metric and speed as mph and it seems to have done it!

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Trying BeWeather but for some reason it won't change the units for Temp and Wind Speed. Anyone else had an issue? Trying to set it as Celsius and mph.

Edit...cracked it! Set temp as metric and speed as mph and it seems to have done it!

I had the same issue.

Have you still noticed that the text description at the bottom of the app will still indicate the wind in k/ph?.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I had the same issue.

Have you still noticed that the text description at the bottom of the app will still indicate the wind in k/ph?.

To be honest i dont use the app....only got it for the widget for the Notification Centre with only hourly forecast, forecast for next few days and the location switcher turned on.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I just noticed that the Pro version of Launcher is temporary on sale for 1,99 euro/dollar in e.g. US and Dutch App Store.

If you have doubts to buy then don't, but i really love the Pro version.
Hopefully the final 1.2 version will soon be available for everyone in the App Store that resolves a bug with e.g. iPhone 5s and the smallest icon size (most left icons won't work correctly).

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
The start topic post has been updated with all Launcher like widgets and also a few quick tweet/facebook widgets which were mentioned previously in this topic.

Also Quick-Tap (the Launcher like widget) is back in the App Store after it was removed earlier this year by Apple. They did a small update to move the icons but overall it looks outdated if you look at Launcher or Launcher+ and the features they have. It's also lacking Settings shortcuts (can be added manually but still).

Last edited:

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I love that widget. My only complaint is that it doesn't show event location. Anyone happen to know how to contact the developer to request that? Can't seem to find contact info.

Check out Widget Calendar from the same dev , it's terrific !

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I've just update the start topic post with e.g. a few launcher widgets, Notes, ExtDownloader and also these two clocks.
I really love 'Klok'.

-Klok Time Zone Converter Widget | Free | By Buuuk Private Limited | official website

eYLLdHl.png

-World Time Widget
| 0,99 dollar

NAMixOa.png

For people using the Launcher widgets please note that the majority of them won't work in iOS9. The way launching apps / in app settings works different in iOS9. The Launcher app already confirmed that they will come up with an update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessica Lares

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Maybe it has already been said in this lengthy thread – but I am v surprised that neither the official Twitter app nor Tweetbot (the two I use) offer a widget.

I would love either a scrolling timeline widget, or just widget showing most recent tweet (with arrow to cycle back thru older tweets) – such as I used in Android for years.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Maybe it has already been said in this lengthy thread – but I am v surprised that neither the official Twitter app nor Tweetbot (the two I use) offer a widget.

I would love either a scrolling timeline widget, or just widget showing most recent tweet (with arrow to cycle back thru older tweets) – such as I used in Android for years.

It's indeed odd that Tweetbot and Twitter did not release a widget.
There are alternatives mentioned in the start post which can do that e.g. TaptoShare (free) but also Widgets., Widgets Pro, OneWidget, Widget for Twitter, Quickgets Bird and Beehive. There are also various other post to Twitter/Facebook widgets (e.g. Quick Tweet!) but i think TaptoShare is very nice and free. Also Launcher can ofcourse post to Twitter with one click via their widget (but no twitter timeline).

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
It's indeed odd that Tweetbot and Twitter did not release a widget.
There are alternatives mentioned in the start post which can do that e.g. TaptoShare (free) but also Widgets., Widgets Pro, OneWidget, Widget for Twitter, Quickgets Bird and Beehive. There are also various other post to Twitter/Facebook widgets (e.g. Quick Tweet!) but i think TaptoShare is very nice and free. Also Launcher can ofcourse post to Twitter with one click via their widget (but no twitter timeline).

Thanks -- I'll check out TaptoShare. Not so interested in ability to post to Twitter from widget (I try to resist the urge to "impulse tweet!"); but as long as I'm checking weather in the NC, would be nice to see recent tweets as well.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Weather app with widget

I have tried many (including some mentioned here), and I'm currently happy with Fresh Air (http://www.freshairweather.io/). The widget refreshes quickly and follows location accurately. I have also found the app to be accurate (even moreso than the stock Weather app, which is hard to beat for design/UI but has been flaky with forecasts lately, at least in my area). I think Fresh Air simply uses NWS data, so YMMV. The developer is also very friendly/responsive.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I have tried many (including some mentioned here), and I'm currently happy with Fresh Air (http://www.freshairweather.io/). The widget refreshes quickly and follows location accurately. I have also found the app to be accurate (even moreso than the stock Weather app, which is hard to beat for design/UI but has been flaky with forecasts lately, at least in my area). I think Fresh Air simply uses NWS data, so YMMV. The developer is also very friendly/responsive.

It's a nice widget but i think it's a bit too big and doesn't show many things i would like to see. I'm very happy with the free version of BeWeather and i'm thinking of buying the Pro app. It does however lack support for minute by minute rain info for the Netherlands (it does support that for US) so i'm using a different Dutch Buienalarm widget for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.