iOS 8 on 4th gen Retina iPad = a laggy mess.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TheLondonFella, Dec 17, 2014.

1. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

Would doing a complete restore fix this, or is this just the way it is for the 4th gen Retina iPad?

I don't want to spend the time restoring, if it's going to be a waste of time (I have done this many times before on other devices, because of other iOS issues).

If anyone with a 4th gen Retina iPad could give some constructive feedback I'd be grateful.

Thanks ...

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I have noticed no issues with it on ours. The iPad 4 is still quite powerful compared to the earlier devices that also support ios8.

3. TheLondonFella thread starter Suspended

TheLondonFella

No animation lag at all??

Thanks for the response ...

4. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

I am very happy how my iPad 4 handles iOS 8, animations stutter here and there, really not often so it is not a problem... And I have seen the same occasional stuttering on my friends iPad Air so I think it has more to do with iOS 8 itself than with the age of the machine...

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I guess that depends on what you are looking for. Even the newest devices occasionally have a stutter here and there. I'm sure the older ones will to a larger extent. What I mean is that there are no functional issues that cause the device to be unusable or would indicate to me that upgrading is a bad idea.

6. severage macrumors regular

OP, test something out for me. What type of wallpaper are you using? Dynamic, or just a still wallpaper? For my iPad 4, iOS8 flies when I'm using a dynamic wallpaper, with animations being fluid and responsive. With a still wallpaper, animations on the home screen are a choppy mess unless I turn them off. Try using a dynamic wallpaper and see if that speeds things up (on the home screen of course, if that's the main lag you're talking about).

I also think number of folders plays a part in speed on the home screen. My homepage is nothing but folders with more apps inside, but if I make a page with only apps (no folders), that page's animations are much smoother as well. It is odd.

7. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

I notice this even on my iPad Air 2. With a static wallpaper there is the tiny delay bringing up control center. With dynamic wallpaper its instantaneous every time.

8. severage macrumors regular

So it's not just me! Fantastic.

If this is happening even on the Air 2, Apple needs to fix some things. A bloody wallpaper shouldn't be slowing down any device, let alone one that powerful. I can understand that the parallelax effect might cause it, but the issue remains even if I enable reduce motion.

9. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Does it do it with a stock still wallpaper AND custom stills or just one of them?

10. severage macrumors regular

For me it does it on both, stock or custom, with reduced motion on or off. Disabling transparency is really the only thing that helps (or just not using folders altogether, but I have too many apps for that, and it looks nice).

11. Peter K., Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014

Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I agree completely; I have participated in several threads in recent weeks regarding issues with my iPad 4 and iOS 8 (8.1, 8.1.1 and 8.1.2).

EDIT: I apologize, but I have nothing constructive to add. I have not found any relief for any of my issues.

EDIT 2: A complete restore did nothing for me.

12. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

On 8.1.2 my iPad 4 is actually quite smooth. Before 8.1.1 it was pretty bad. For 2.5 year old hardware, it performs quite well.

13. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

You know it needs a few days after update to settle, yes?

14. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

And you need to hold it in an upright position, and don't let it get warmer than 41 degrees celsius, and don't swipe too fast.

Whatever you're doing, don't do it wrong.

15. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

In all seriousness, do a factory reset, "Setup As New," let it settle for a few days, and it will be fine. Turn off all the animation junk too it will make it feel much smoother.