iOS 8 on 5S

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I just yesterday bought a 5S, but I've heard a couple of people on here suggesting not to update to iOS8 as it wasn't made for the iPhone 5s, is this true? Would people recommend steering clear and sticking with iOS 7?

jsnmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
I have had my 5s since last November i have been really happy with it, to the point where i posted a couple of pictures showing the life i was getting from the battery. I have also never had an issue with any IOS update on any of my previous IPhones. However, the update to IOS8, while very smooth, has been a nightmare for all the devices in my family including my 5s. I am now getting at least two hours a day less battery life while using it in the exact same way. I never thought i was going to be one of those that moaned about battery life after an update, but here i am.

I still love the 5s, but i would wait on updating it until some patches are rolled out. Even then this may all just be a subtle ploy to get us to upgrade to the larger (but bendy) IPhone 6 and 6+ with their bigger batteries.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I have had my 5s since last November i have been really happy with it, to the point where i posted a couple of pictures showing the life i was getting from the battery. I have also never had an issue with any IOS update on any of my previous IPhones. However, the update to IOS8, while very smooth, has been a nightmare for all the devices in my family including my 5s. I am now getting at least two hours a day less battery life while using it in the exact same way. I never thought i was going to be one of those that moaned about battery life after an update, but here i am.
Exemplary battery life is one of the reasons I always do a clean restore in lieu of upgrading !!

I still love the 5s, but i would wait on updating it until some patches are rolled out. Even then this may all just be a subtle ploy to get us to upgrade to the larger (but bendy) IPhone 6 and 6+ with their bigger batteries.
A 5S has more than adequate hardware to efficiently run iOS8 -

Damolee

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2012
This is the reason I always do a clean restore in lieu of upgrading !!
So a "Reset All Settings" and then do the install to 8 afterwards as a new phone?

I did an install and restored back up from iCloud and it ran like garbage. 5S too btw.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
So a "Reset All Settings" and then do the install to 8 afterwards as a new phone?

I did an install and restored back up from iCloud and it ran like garbage. 5S too btw.
I chose "Restore" instead of Upgrade (always use iTunes, never OTA), that way ALL the files are overwritten with clean versions instead of just the files that are being upgraded.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Is working fine here too, I've only noticed one glitch, and that was the screen going grayscale in Spotlight with a third-party keyboard. But that was one time and I haven't seen it since.

I have a little over 90 apps too and have gone crazy over widgets, so I'm definitely using it.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
I have an iPhone 5 and iOS8 runs smoothly and without problems. ;)
Running fine on my 5S

(I gave up a jailbreak on iOS7 to use iOS8 - don't regret it at all)
Obviously those people have got many wires crossed, iOS 8 is working fine on my 5S.
Its running fine on my 5s

iOS 8 purs like a kitten on my iPhone 5S; there is no problem whatsoever with this. No lag or anything, even.
Is working fine here too, I've only noticed one glitch, and that was the screen going grayscale in Spotlight with a third-party keyboard. But that was one time and I haven't seen it since.

I have a little over 90 apps too and have gone crazy over widgets, so I'm definitely using it.
Do any of you experience any lag in the stock weather app? As soon as I scroll out to see all cities and then pick one to get a full view, it lags. Really surprised this managed to pass, seeing as how incredibly powerful the A7 is. I have two 5S's and they both suffer from this.

Last edited:

MacFinnley

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2014
Munich, Germany
Do any of you experience any lag in the stock weather app? As soon as I scroll out to see all cities and then pick one to get a full view, it lags. Really surprised this managed to pass, seeing as how incredibly powerful the A7 is. I have two 5S's and they both experience this.
little bit laggy, yes. seems to be software related.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I just yesterday bought a 5S, but I've heard a couple of people on here suggesting not to update to iOS8 as it wasn't made for the iPhone 5s, is this true? Would people recommend steering clear and sticking with iOS 7?
Updating your device every year is basically guaranteed to seriously downgrade your devices performance over time.

An update 1 year beyond what your phone came with? You're probably fine. Just know though that the newest phone update was written with the newest hardware (faster, more battery efficient) in mind.

Of course everyone here will say "iOS 8 runs perfectly on my 5s!" but remember: people used to say the same thing about upgrading from iOS 5 to 6 on the iPhone 4s. But what happened with iOS 7 or 8?

Sure, iOS 6 ran good on the 4s... but iOS 7 ended up make it quite laggy and shrank battery life. Not only that but if you were dumb enough to continue updating to iOS 8 you basically crippled your device: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ios-8-on-the-iphone-4s-performance-isnt-the-only-problem/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1789102/

Moral of the story, keep the OS your device came with if you want it to run as fast and smooth as the day you bought it. While you can probably update to the next years OS without issue, think long as hard about continually updating beyond that year-after-year if you value your devices performance and battery life.

mattbnr

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014

I don't fully understand the widgets. I guess I'm use to the widgets on android. How do we use/enable/install said widgets on iPhone?

----------

Updating your device every year is basically guaranteed to seriously downgrade your devices performance over time.

An update 1 year beyond what your phone came with? You're probably fine. Just know though that the newest phone update was written with the newest hardware (faster, more battery efficient) in mind.

Of course everyone here will say "iOS 8 runs perfectly on my 5s!" but remember: people used to say the same thing about upgrading from iOS 5 to 6 on the iPhone 4s. But what happened with iOS 7 or 8?

Sure, iOS 6 ran good on the 4s... but iOS 7 ended up make it quite laggy and shrank battery life. Not only that but if you were dumb enough to continue updating to iOS 8 you basically crippled your device: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ios-8-on-the-iphone-4s-performance-isnt-the-only-problem/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1789102/

Moral of the story, keep the OS your device came with if you want it to run as fast and smooth as the day you bought it. While you can probably update to the next years OS without issue, think long as hard about continually updating beyond that year-after-year if you value your devices performance and battery life.

I'm running iOS 8 on my 4s and its running just fine. My battery life sucks but that might be due to the fact the phone is almost 2 years old and been abused its entire life.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
iOS8 works even better than 7 does on my 5S. Just the oft repeated hiccups involving third party keyboards and I think Facebook app crashed once when I tried to post a picture. Hopefully this trend doesn't suddenly cease with the .2 update.........

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Running fine on a 5S here. Had to re-check a few things that might stress the battery, but pleased so far. Nice to have full screen caller pics back. I'm easy to please ;)

rapicell

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
iOS 8 runs well on the 5S, but it really is up to the user themselves to decided if they feel it runs well. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm not a heavy user either.

roycemac

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
Definitely slower on my 5 with the upgrade.
And I am having problems with storing Numbers spreadsheets in the cloud.
I was able to access a spreadsheet and it would sync perfectly (and instantly) with all 3 devices ( MAC mini, ipad and iPhone.
After the update, I constantly get a conflict message no matter where I open the spreadsheet or when or what device....often days later.
I no longer trust the cloud sync and have to check my spreadsheets...very annoying.
And WiFi is definitely slower and tends to drop the signal.
And when I open photos, I can count to 5 before the screen populates with my albums. Used to be immediate.
As for battery life...I wouldn't know since I've been using a Moto to maintain power throughout the day for almost 4 months now. Without it my phone won't make it to Noon. Before ios7 I could run all day without a worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.