iOS 8 on a daily basis?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by patseguin, Jul 7, 2014.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Is anyone using iOS 8 on their iPad/iPhone on a daily basis, namely beta 3? I was wondering if it was stable enough to start using or if I should wait for the official release. And will it upgrade to the final iOS 8 or will I have to wipe it and reinitialize it?

2. mr99 macrumors 6502a

There are multiple other threads on this topic.

3. natewsmith79 macrumors newbie

I have been using Beta 1 & 2 as daily Drivers along with OS X 10.10

I love the new Desktop and I've really not had that many problems with iOS either. You are fine.

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

There are definitely other threads on this and honestly it all comes down to how tolerant of issues you are. I've been using iOS 8 on my main phone and iPad since June 2nd and I've been doing fine with it. There are definitely some issues... my pebble watch doesn't work well. I had a number of dropped calls in beta 2 because the call would drop if you hit the power button while you were on a call (which I do often while I'm using my bluetooth headset). Luckily this has been resolved in beta 3. Battery life is still pretty bad. Some apps refuse to run or have weird quirks, but overall I'm able to use my phone and do what I need to do.

If you're OK dealing with issues like this, then you should be fine running iOS 8. If you're expecting a flawless OS or you live and die by your phone and it has to be 100% reliable all of the time, then you're probably better off waiting until the official release in the fall.

5. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I've been using iOS 8 on my 5S since it was available.

DO NOT USE A BETA ON A DEVICE WHERE DEPENDABILITY, USABILITY & STABILITY ARE NEEDED!

Here are a list of things that happen regularly with B3-

-Cannot answer the phone, slider won't slide.
    -Phone still rings but is on the home screen with no visual indication of a call
    -App Store app crashes regularly
    -iMessage/Text are wonky. Sometimes everything works, sometimes it does not
    -The phone resets itself about 8 times a day.
    -Sometimes the screen will not activate. It's black. Takes multiple attempts to get working.
    -A few apps do not work, Facebook is not working for me now, Spotify will not work.
    -Email app shows email badge but no emails.
    -Missed call badge but will not go away.

In short, don't use it as a daily driver if you depend on your phone.

6. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Seems reasonably stable here on my iPhone 5. Still buggy, but it IS a beta, but I use it daily. As long as you dont mind rebooting each day or so, and finding that some things seem to stop working for a while, then next time they work fine, then you should be ok.

Having said that, some people are finding big issues with Beta 3, but I have not found it too bad at all, especially compared to the 5 reboot a day Beta 2 :)

7. mr99 macrumors 6502a

8. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Have you tried a clean install? Almost all of my problems went away after restoring in iTunes.

9. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I've never done a clean install. I do not want to lose my messages and since there is no way to restore just those, I don't clean install. Too many memories and history stored there. :(

10. mr99 macrumors 6502a

Ditto here.

11. Sharkey311 Suspended

I'm curious, do you people ever go back and re-read your message history? It seems like it's a waste to keep it since you'll never have time to do it. =/

12. mr99 macrumors 6502a

Some people save them for a reason

13. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Nude pics.

Another reason would be affectionate messages to a spouse. Like when my wife was deployed for a year we talked through Facebook messenger and I would go back and read good conversations we had. These were deleted shortly after she got home though I believe.

14. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Definitely not ready yet for daily usage. People would call my phone and I wouldn't ever hear it ring until right when they hung up. It would ring for a split second. Tested this several times. Would ring 10+ times and my voicemail wouldn't even pick up.

15. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I do for sentimental reasons. I have a couple close friends and have several years of conversations with them. I like to go back sometimes and read them. Nostalgia and such. Plus now with iOS 8, I can see any and all attachments (pics/vids) at once under details which is awesome.

So yeah, I re-read them and have them. Most I delete but there are a few I do keep and don't want to get rid of ever. Call it what you want.

16. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Beta 3 is running much much better on my iPhone 5S. Couldn't stand running beta 2 I was thinking of going back to iOS 7.1.2.

There's are still a few bugs but they don't bother as much as they did in beta 2

17. mr99 macrumors 6502a

What are they?

18. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Just random crashes.

And whatsapp sometimes not working properly

19. mr99 macrumors 6502a

Could be worse

20. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

And Facebook doesn't load pictures. Kind of annoying but yeah it could be worse.

21. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Backup, restore, restore from backup. Nothing lost.

22. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

No, it's too buggy. I reverted from beta 3 to IOS 7.

23. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

That's not a clean install.

Clean install is wipe phone -> install iOS 8. Do not restore any previous data.

I have been installing betas, full OS' on my phone and then restored from backup. I have never wiped and NOT restored from backup. Same goes for OTA updates. I just install them and go.

24. matthew2926 macrumors 6502

Call it what you want. Clean or not, installing via ipsw rather than OTA update has always fixed a majority of my problems in any beta.