iOS 8 on first gen iPad mini?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 21, 2014.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Anyone have horrendous luck on iOS 8 on the first generation iPad mini? I can't even start a new post on MacRumors from the iPad without the thing completely locking up, and I have to close out of Safari and reopen it again.

What should I try from here? Thinking about doing a restore, but before I do, I want to know if anyone else is having the same troubles on iOS 8 and their first generation iPad minis.

I have the 16GB iPad mini on Sprint.

If only iOS 7 on iPad had continuity and SMS forwarding.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

You could have either posted this in the iPad or iOS8 sub section. Yet you decided to post it in iPhone. Why?

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Thread needs moved, but at any rate yes. iOS 8 is horrible on the original mini. I can start typing a web address and have it finished before it even starts showing up on screen. I'm can't wait for my Air 2.

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If you check the iPad forum, you'll see that 8.x on a Mini 1 is something of a mixed bag, with some users saying they didn't see a huge difference over 7.x, and others reporting things like yours. Since the Mini 1 basically has the same specs as an iPad 2 and those aren't doing too well on 8 either, it's probably not a great upgrade for those devices.

That said, since you can't go back down to 7.x, try a clean install (don't restore from backup, you can always do that later). Download only the bare minimum of apps, don't sync anything over immediately, and see if the device runs any better. If it does, you may have to pick & choose what to put back onto it.

If it doesn't, Mini 2's have dropped in price, and Mini 2 refurbs are a terrific deal right now. (That's what I opted to do; my Mini 1 was already having issues on 7.1.2, so no way was I taking it up to 8.)

Good luck!

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Seems to work fine on my Mini, but I don't use it a ton. Mostly rely on my iPhone 5 or rMBP.