iOS 8 on iPhone 5S?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jardins de Vin, May 11, 2015.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

What's the latest iOS 8 on the 5S like? Is it quick?

I always hear people complaining about iOS 8, but I'm not sure if it's true. I would for example read about a lot of people having bugs on their iPad Air. But personally I've been using iOS 8 on my iPad Air since October last year, and I haven't had any performance issues. It works fine. :)

2. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I currently have iOS 8.3 installed on my 5s and I really haven't encountered any issues. It's been running smooth for me. No real lag either.

3. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Fastest least buggiest version of iOS 8 I have used. Been really nice.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Which "version of iOS 8" would that be?

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

8.3 is fine on mine. Can't really pinpoint any issues.

6. nordique macrumors 6502a

7. pacorob macrumors 68000

pacorob

Me too, no problems on the 5s running iOS8.3

8. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Thanks everyone,

And what about iOS 7? Was the 5S faster with it?

9. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I also think that iOS 8.3 is smoother than any iOS 7 build and certainly less buggy.

10. Imory macrumors 6502a

7.1.2 is still faster/smoother, but 8.3 is at a state where it's "good enough" when you take the additional features into account. There are places where it's going to stutter, and the weather app is still atrocious in terms of performance, but apart from that it's decent.

11. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

For me 7.1.2 was not as smooth. Choppy and glitches. But hey not everyone's experience is the same. What I can tell you is that I always restore as new and never use a back up.

12. Imory macrumors 6502a

I have a hard time believing that, but at the same time I can't be obnoxious and say what you're stating isn't true. I do however think that the majority of people on here would agree that 7.1.2 was smoother, but that's a different discussion.

Restoring/backups don't really matter or affect performance, imo. I only backup through iCloud and that shouldn't affect performance, given how sandboxed iOS is. Things like app data could possibly alter the performance of a certain app, but uninstalling/installing it would remedy it.

13. westcoastin macrumors member

I asked this same question a while back and ended up updating to 8.3. Runs smoothly, but my main issue with iOS 8 is faster battery drain. With iOS 7.1.2 I didn't need to monitor my usage and disable as many features in an effort to conserve battery life, but with iOS 8 I have to be more conservative in my usage in order to not drain my battery before the evening. In other words, I find myself bringing along my charging wire and car charger a lot more than I used to.