iOS 8 on the iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by BillyMatt87, Mar 25, 2014.

1. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

I think the new iPads look amazing from a hardware standpoint, but iOS 7 was clearly designed with a stronger emphasis on the iPhone. Many UI elements/features (folders, multitasking, notification center and Siri) and stock apps (Newsstand, Music, Photos, Game Center) don't look like they were properly optimized for the iPad's larger displays. It feels like a blown-up version of the iPhone's version of the OS.

I hope when iOS 8 is announced and previewed at WWDC, it will look more complete and complement the iPad much better than iOS 7 did.

2. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

I found this to be true from the beginning when the first iPad was released.
    People were skeptical as to how iOS would work properly on iPad without it looking like a blown up iPod. I honestly got used to it because the iPad has it's own role in the living room right now. It's more of a quick-check-up device rather than a productivity device for me.

That said, if apple decided to redesign iOS 8 to proper proportions for the iPad, I'd look forward to what they'd do to the OS.

3. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Thats because the actual directive from Steve Jobs own mouth was "just look at it as a large iPod touch" when talking to the development team. Its been documented.

4. Pumapayam macrumors member

Pumapayam

I thought forcing a 9 icon per page was a bit strange myself on the ipad, when it was I think 20 before.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Documented where?

6. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I agree. I love iOS 7 on the iPhone, but the iPad is under-utilised. Apple could do so much with the UI to make it more iPad-friendly.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You never know what will happen, but considering that's been a complaint since the first iPads I doubt we will see much of a redesign just for the iPad. Apple wants to keep the OS as similar as possible between the iPad and iPhone so I don't see them optimizing it more for the iPad than it already is.

8. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Indeed. Noone should expect e.g. windowed multitasking. It simply won't happen. In the meantime, just jailbreak and use VideoPane for hardware video playback and hope a Quasar-alike will soon be released by the JB devs.

9. BillyMatt87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iOS 7 multitasking on the iPad is simply a blown-up version of the iPhone version and it does not fit and does not take advantage of the larger screen real estate. I would love to see Apple give the iPad a Mission Control-style multitasking interface. That'd be awesome!

10. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

In the Jony Ive book. People who worked on it quoted jobs as saying that when they had no idea where to start on the device. Great book.