iOS 8 on the iPad

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
I think the new iPads look amazing from a hardware standpoint, but iOS 7 was clearly designed with a stronger emphasis on the iPhone. Many UI elements/features (folders, multitasking, notification center and Siri) and stock apps (Newsstand, Music, Photos, Game Center) don't look like they were properly optimized for the iPad's larger displays. It feels like a blown-up version of the iPhone's version of the OS.

I hope when iOS 8 is announced and previewed at WWDC, it will look more complete and complement the iPad much better than iOS 7 did.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
I found this to be true from the beginning when the first iPad was released.
People were skeptical as to how iOS would work properly on iPad without it looking like a blown up iPod. I honestly got used to it because the iPad has it's own role in the living room right now. It's more of a quick-check-up device rather than a productivity device for me.

That said, if apple decided to redesign iOS 8 to proper proportions for the iPad, I'd look forward to what they'd do to the OS.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Thats because the actual directive from Steve Jobs own mouth was "just look at it as a large iPod touch" when talking to the development team. Its been documented.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I think the new iPads look amazing from a hardware standpoint, but iOS 7 was clearly designed with a stronger emphasis on the iPhone. Many UI elements/features (folders, multitasking, notification center and Siri) and stock apps (Newsstand, Music, Photos, Game Center) don't look like they were properly optimized for the iPad's larger displays. It feels like a blown-up version of the iPhone's version of the OS.

I hope when iOS 8 is announced and previewed at WWDC, it will look more complete and complement the iPad much better than iOS 7 did.
I agree. I love iOS 7 on the iPhone, but the iPad is under-utilised. Apple could do so much with the UI to make it more iPad-friendly.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You never know what will happen, but considering that's been a complaint since the first iPads I doubt we will see much of a redesign just for the iPad. Apple wants to keep the OS as similar as possible between the iPad and iPhone so I don't see them optimizing it more for the iPad than it already is.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
You never know what will happen, but considering that's been a complaint since the first iPads I doubt we will see much of a redesign just for the iPad. Apple wants to keep the OS as similar as possible between the iPad and iPhone so I don't see them optimizing it more for the iPad than it already is.

Indeed. Noone should expect e.g. windowed multitasking. It simply won't happen. In the meantime, just jailbreak and use VideoPane for hardware video playback and hope a Quasar-alike will soon be released by the JB devs.

BillyMatt87

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Indeed. Noone should expect e.g. windowed multitasking. It simply won't happen. In the meantime, just jailbreak and use VideoPane for hardware video playback and hope a Quasar-alike will soon be released by the JB devs.
The iOS 7 multitasking on the iPad is simply a blown-up version of the iPhone version and it does not fit and does not take advantage of the larger screen real estate. I would love to see Apple give the iPad a Mission Control-style multitasking interface. That'd be awesome!