Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Before installing iOS 8 can I get some feedback for those who have it running on the iPhone 5? How's the performance and battery life?

Thanks

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I have iPhone 5C which shares same components. The iOS 8 runs pretty smooth on iPhone 5C. Because I am just back from Android and just got iPhone 5C, I do not know how it compares with iOS 7 in terms of performance and battery life. Battery life seems OK, but not great. I was on 54% of battery after 4 and half hours of usage. The singal strength is pretty poor around 2 bars.

This just gives you some ideas on battery life and performance on iPhone 5.

Oh, iPhone 5C has slightly bigger battery than iPhone 5, but there should not munch differences.

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
My 5 is running fine vs 7.1.2. Battery life definitely better on 8. But then again, no longer jailbroken. And performance is similar. A few sites seem to refresh more on 8, but overall minor difference in performance.

AudioAw2015

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
iPhone 5c user here, performance is pretty similar compared to 7.1.2. I do notice a slight hit in battery consumption, maybe 4-6% difference. I think it's due to spotlight suggestions because it's been using a lot of location services in the background.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
I have iPhone 5C which shares same components. The iOS 8 runs pretty smooth on iPhone 5C. Because I am just back from Android and just got iPhone 5C, I do not know how it compares with iOS 7 in terms of performance and battery life. Battery life seems OK, but not great. I was on 54% of battery after 4 and half hours of usage. The singal strength is pretty poor around 2 bars.

This just gives you some ideas on battery life and performance on iPhone 5.

Oh, iPhone 5C has slightly bigger battery than iPhone 5, but there should not munch differences.

46% = 4,5 hours of usage and it's just OK, not great? DAMN. My 4s dies after 4,5 hours of usage.

AudioAw2015

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
46% = 4,5 hours of usage and it's just OK, not great? DAMN. My 4s dies after 4,5 hours of usage.

Listening to music, streaming through Bluetooth, tethering also counts towards usage. Usage doesn't just mean screen time usage. If it's 4-5 hours of screen time, with 46% left, that would be impressive.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Listening to music, streaming through Bluetooth, tethering also counts towards usage. Usage doesn't just mean screen time usage. If it's 4-5 hours of screen time, with 46% left, that would be impressive.

yeah well, i meant exactly that, of course. if i didn't had a car stereo with iphone integration connected thru usb, i'd end up looking for a charger by 3pm every day lol.

OzzyOzman

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
It runs smooth most of the time but it can lag a lot sometimes (when I try to listen to podcasts usually).

Spotify keeps shutting itself down as well. You should probably wait until they fix this. Should be soon I would imagine.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I have an iPhone 5 and I just did the update by connecting through iTunes, I never do over the air, I find it always goes much smoother and faster by going through iTunes.

I will report back in the next few days because you can't tell battery performance in the same day someone updates to a new iOS. One must allow for a complete drain of battery and then a full charge and then another of the same and then you can test to see how battery is doing.

Don't believe what you read from someone who just updated today and is already complaining about battery...give it a few days to settle in.

I don't see any change in performance of iOS8, my phone is working like it always has.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I have an iPhone 5 and I just did the update by connecting through iTunes, I never do over the air, I find it always goes much smoother and faster by going through iTunes.

I will report back in the next few days because you can't tell battery performance in the same day someone updates to a new iOS. One must allow for a complete drain of battery and then a full charge and then another of the same and then you can test to see how battery is doing.

Don't believe what you read from someone who just updated today and is already complaining about battery...give it a few days to settle in.

I don't see any change in performance of iOS8, my phone is working like it always has.

I might end doing a fresh restore via iTunes as my Wi-Fi calling isn't showing like it should. Everything else on my 5 is working right.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I clean installed onto my iPhone 5 last week, and i haven't noticed any significant decrease in battery life. Performance has been pretty good - there are occasional stutters when using multitasking, but other than that, it's pretty smooth.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

So how do you like it? Getting opinions before I upgrade my cousins phone for him.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Well to be honest I ended up getting about 1.5 hours less with iOS8 so I did a full restore and the battery seems to be just about the same as iOS7 so I'm happy about that. However I have seen some noticeable lag in scrolling mostly in the Music app which is still broken in my opinion but that is another can of worms.

The only other major problem I'm having is my iPhone 5 does not synch properly with iTunes 11.4. I have 32 videos that use to be on my iPhone with iOS7 and the videos are still checked on my iTunes library but they just will not synch over to my iPhone 5. In fact the whole synching with iTunes has been weird, last night I tried to synch the videos again and it still would not pull them over but I also noticed it was still synching over songs that were not pulled over, so something is up with Apple's servers or something because the synching is sporadicly weird. I have over 5,000 songs so maybe it's going to take a while to synch them all over and the videos I really have no clue why they are not synching when they are checked in iTunes.

So except for the laggy scrolling (which I hate reminding me of my old Android phone I had before iPhone 5) and except for the iTunes not synching correctly and the Music App still not fixed (I loved the Music App on iOS6), so iOS8 is just OK for me. If I knew all this before I would have stayed on iOS7

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Getting some lag, safari crashes often. Settings tab crashes, facebook app does occasionally. Battery has been about the same however.

Battery is on 3:47 hours usage and 14 hours standby, at 62%. Spotlight search is slow as crap and I have to press the done button on videos repeatedly to get out of them in safari

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
My battery life has taken a noticeable hit with iOS 8 on my iPhone 5. And I have backround refresh off, wifi/BT off, screen is only at half brightness 24/7, and I only run 1-2 apps at once. I can literally watch it discharge with the percentage indicator in the corner. Not good.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
i always do a clean install of iOS and backup from applications that way, this is honestly the best method to prevent worse battery life , I feel like glitches and quirks always carry over into the next major OS update

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.